Developer Meeting Notes

news

(William) #41

It helps if you want to more clearly see the borders between two weight values that are very close to each other.

(0o00o0oo) #42

Right, I understand that’s what it does. I just can’t think of an example where I need to know that there is a very minute difference between weight values (I guess in context of rigging because that’s primarily when I’m weight painting).

(William) #43

If you have a very smooth gradient over a large area, this helps to visualise the gradient transitions.

(xrg) #44

With smooth gradients it does seem to make more sense than my earlier screenshot.

(BTolputt) #45

OK, I get that and all. I already know what it DOES. I know what it shows. I just don’t get how that’s useful.

For example, take the dense sculpted mesh that I’m weight painting, how is this better than just posing the armature and seeing how the mesh responds and adjusting the weights in pose to get what I want?

(Zinogg) #46

what happened to shader to RGB node, it seems removed from the latest builds.

(William) #47

It’s still there.

(Zinogg) #48

yep , i had setup opengl as the start-up engine and forgot about it, and the node works only with eevee for now that’s why i couldn’t find it, sorry!

(0o00o0oo) #49

I get that. I think what would help people like me is a practical example of where it would be useful. Like @BTolputt mentioned, when weight painting for mesh, the visual gradient doesn’t matter so much than the effect I’m seeing when posing the bones.

I frankly have never heard of this before and want to figure out if I’m overlooking some useful new feature. Maybe somebody who does weight painting extensively can chime in here.

(BTolputt) #50

Exactly this. I can see what the feature does visually, I just cannot see how it helps practically.

(zeauro) #51

Imagine that you are influencing a modifier (that takes lot of computation) or a material (that takes time to be refreshed) by a weight group, and there is a step value in your set-up.

For example, below 0.5, nothing happens and immediately above at 0.501 something should began to happen.
You will see a green area for values near 0.5 but to be sure that correct area don’t go up to 0.5, contour lines can help to see immediately that vertex that should be at 0.5 is above at 0.501.

We can imagine that you are using same weight group from multiple tasks.
Using weight range from 0 to 0.5 to influence diffuse color and 0.5 to 1 to influence specular color.
Or reusing same weight group for displace and a hook.

(sozap) #52

I think this can be useful to spot unwanted, really low weight values that append often when using auto-weight.

(Romanji) #53

Regarding weight paints, how about an overlay which shows the percentage and the bone it is attached to per vertex?
Like if i mouse over an vertex it could show these values. That way i know immediately what bone has influence over the vertex.
Also some more visualization options for displaying the weights would be nice.

(angavrilov) #54

This is actually the real context in which I had the idea of that feature 3 years ago, but it only became technically possible right now. It also involved a dynamic threshold, so I wanted to see all contours.

(razin) #55

does someone have the link of today meeting ?

(cdog) #56

there you go
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2018-October/049623.html

(DarkNavi.exe) #57

Is a fellow with a brostache invited to this party? pastes info from link, using same format
Also, Cdog, thanks for the link.

New icons for Blender 2.8
(drgci) #58

Another delay for blender 2.8 beta :frowning:

(ManuelGrad) #59

They better take the time needed rather than rush it!
2.8 will be really important and many many people are eager to start learning Blender starting with the new release. If its full of bugs and half done it will do more harm than good.

(drgci) #60

Yeah i know , Iam also eagerly awaiting the beta release i want to move exclusively in blender 2.8,
Iam very impatient