Developer Meeting Notes

Phase 1 of the tracker curfew is now complete.
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2020-February/050464.html

Now comes phase 2, lots and lots of bugfixing and patch review. It would be nice if it means 2.83 being the most stable release ever made.

14 Likes
16 Likes

Looks like one area at least will see good performance improvements by 2.83 (on top of the other goodies it received) :slight_smile:

Too bad it’s not my primary area of interest, still waiting to see the same for subsurf and editmode. However, 2D and 2D animation is a rather big field, if not a bit bigger than 3D and 3D animation, the way this is implemented still has the potential to be huge for Blender.

2 Likes

It looks like the BF’s effort to get more volunteers on board is working, we have more contributors stepping up and giving certain areas nice usability boosts.

The latest volunteer patch that gives such a boost is this one which commits an important fix for the Ocean modifier.
https://developer.blender.org/D6871

The fact that Blender is starting to feel more like a true, community-powered tool can only be a good thing.

13 Likes

why do I suspect that very soon from Disney, but also from other historical animation houses there will be a strong return of 2D animation?..
:grin:

1 Like

the same volunteer created another patch for another modifier
Modifiers: Surface Deform add vertex group and strength control

7 Likes

Blender it’s a monster, the amount of developers contribute in this project probably exceed Autodesk man power for Maya or 3ds max
Right now the most challenging part for blender seems to be the undo system/ viewport performance/animation playback
Once we tackle those issues we will have the dream software, hopefully this year

3 Likes

3dsmax team last I heard (few years ago admittedly) was… four people, so yeah. @Ace_Dragon I’m feeling the same thing, this great emulsion happening in the blender world.

1 Like

Klaus on Netflix was amazing. I can see 2D animation making comeback for sure.

2 Likes

are you referring to its “particular special effects on surfaces”?

2 Likes

Interesting. May I ask where that information is from?

Would be interested to hear that as well. According to Ton in one of his interviews there are around 10-20 Maya devs, and he’s also stating there being more for 3DSMax. I couldn’t find much information on this, his guess is probably better than mine.

It was from a tutor at a school, an insider on all things autodesk (he moved on since…), around 2013, so admittedly a while ago.

1 Like

Emphasis on EVER. I would say from here on, things are going to be even better for other developers to join in their tools (U4, wink, wink).

sometimes I feel stupid as a blind mole …
holy shiit how could i miss this !! :scream: :scream: :joy:

Power of Rhino and MOI3D come to me! :fire: :zap:

4 Likes

For Modo lovers, This looks like it’s a workplane like workflow in development task

7 Likes

If they added in an option to make the Move tool function like Modo (based on viewport orientation but locked to the 2 dominant axis in view, and activated anywhere on screen), I could die happy.

Today in my learnings on building gameready modules i stumbled onto issue of https://developer.blender.org/T66426
I really needed better slide operations to make room for precise face as sliding do not screw up UV-s. Had to use manual hacky slide with zoomed into mm scale. Good to know it is coming eventually.

:open_mouth::open_mouth: I can’t believe this. @Musashidan, what do you think?

Not true at all. :laughing: There are at least 4 sub-teams, probably 8 in total including the Bifrost and Arnold teams. The current dev team is as large as it’s been in a long time.

1 Like