Developer Meeting Notes

Oh, too bad. The on-top behavior in 2.93 is great and a real frustration saver when dealing with having multiple Blenders open in parallel. Which is pretty much always.

I understand how it can be annoying if you only have a single monitor, though.

An option in the preferences would be great.

2 Likes

Agree 100%… :frowning:

Just to be clear, it is only the Render window that is not on-top, all the others (like Preferences, Window / New Window, those you create with “Duplicate into new area”, etc) are still on top for Windows now.

1 Like

Yeah sure… but it’s still sad nonetheless…

1 Like

Announcements

Modules & Projects

New Features and Changes

Geometry Nodes

• New nodes:

• Curve support:

• Support minimum twist normal mode (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)
    • Join dynamic curve attributes in the join geometry node (commit) (Hans Goudey)
  • Performance improvements:

Rigging

• Add automatic B-Bone Scale toggles (commit ) (Alexander Gavrilov)
  • Implement lengthwise scaling of B-Bone segments (commit ) (Alexander Gavrilov)
  • Add B-Bone Y scale channel and extra flag fields to DNA (commit ) (Alexander Gavrilov)

Mesh Editing

• Performance improvements:
    • Use multithreading in various places:
      • Optimize object mode face tessellation (commit ) (Campbell Barton)
      • Counting the total selection (commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)
      • Counting material buckets (commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)
    • Various improvements to normal calculation (commit , commit , commit , commit ) (Campbell Barton)
    • Limit recounting during selection mode flushing (commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)
    • Cache material offsets (commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)
    • Minor optimization to concave quad check for tessellation (commit ) (Campbell Barton)

Grease Pencil

• Line Art: Cached calculation for modifiers in the same stack. (commit ) (Yiming Wu)

User Interface

• Edge-panning while dragging in the node editor (commit ) (Lukas Tönne)
  • Support 3D viewport local view overlay stats (commit ) (Harley Acheson)
  • Windows: Allow specifying the blender installation used for thumbnails (commit ) (Harley Acheson)

Python API

• Option for render engines to disable image file saving (commit ) (Thomas Lachmann)
  • Remove deprecated bpy.app.binary_path_python (commit ) (Campbell Barton)

Miscellaneous

• Spreadsheet Editor: Add row filters for removing rows from the view (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Mantaflow: Optimize FLIP neighbor search radius (commit ) (Erik Abrahamsson & Sebastián Barschkis)
  • Alembic Import: support reading per-vertex UV sets (commit ) (Kévin Dietrich)
  • Video Sequence Editor: Improve animation evaluation performance (commit ) (Richard Antalik)

Weekly Reports

Summary
10 Likes

There is a Nodes workshop going on this week.

Among the things being discussed is Particle Nodes and where Everything Nodes should be by the Blender 3.0 release. I am guessing they will settle on working on Particle Nodes as the next component (if its place as a specific topic is anything to go by).

7 Likes

I love everything in this list. Solvers ? yes ! Loops ? indeed… Expressions ? don’t stop… Compact nodes ?! oh, I’m close !!

What’s that “heap/stack attributes namespace” ? I don’t know what heap means. I know a Mark Heap, but he’s a comedian. And “selection/tagging” ? I thought we had a working solution with boolean attributes ?

4 Likes

Heap and stack are data structures

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification ! I imagine this is not user-facing is it ? from what I read it would be a way to efficiently store attributes ?

Yes the user wont see it… it happens magically…

Announcements

Modules & Projects

New Features and Changes

User Interface

• Improved File Browser Preview Image Scaling (commit ) (Harley Acheson)
  • Display units for transform proportional edit value (commit ) (Germano Cavalcante)

Grease Pencil

• Duplicate Masks when separating layer and strokes (commit ) (Antonio Vazquez)
  • Line Art Modifier
    • Support more edge types and related chaining improvements (commit ) (Yiming Wu)
    • Filtering feature lines with face mask (commit) (Yiming Wu)
    • Performance Improvements
      • Check object visibility with bounding box before loading (commit ) (Yiming Wu)
      • Discard out of frame edges (commit ) (Yiming Wu)

Mesh Editing

• Remove redundant mesh duplication in edit-mode during transform (commit ) (Campbell Barton)
    • Use multithreading to flush selection to edges and faces (commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)
    • Improve edit-mode partial-update logic for faster updates during common transform operations (commit ) (Campbell Barton)
    • Support flushing parameters without a full copy-on-write update (commit ) (Campbell Barton)
    • Avoid storing an unecessary copy of the view’s depth buffer (commit ) (Germano Cavalcante)
  • Fix long standing limitation selecting edges & bones partially out of the view (commit , commit ) (Campbell Barton)

Cycles

• Add view layer option to disable motion blur, in the Filter panel (commit ) (Brecht Van Lommel)

Platform Support

• Linux
    • Prefer using dedicated GPU when launching Blender (commit) (Mihnea Stoian)
    • Support Wayland for XR (commit ) (Christian Rauch)
    • Auto-select highest supported OpenGL version (commit ) (Christian Rauch)
  • Windows
    • Use the Wintab tablet input API when verified against system input with mouse input (commit) (Nicholas Rishel)

Spreadsheet Editor

• Dataset region for spreadsheet editor (commit ) (Fabian Schempp)

Compositor

• Full frame implementation of ID Mask node (commit ) (Manuel Castilla)
    • Full frame implementation of Image node (commit ) (Manuel Castilla)

Geometry Nodes

• Join curve attributes when realizing instances (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
  • Use multithreading for the curve to mesh node (commit ) (Hans Goudey)

Miscellaneous

• Enhanced statistics and reports for Blender file reading (commit ) (Bastien Montagne)
  • Voxel Remesher: Make smooth shading output automatic (commit ) (Pablo Dobarro)

Weekly Reports

Summary
10 Likes

Really great improvement. These “small” improvements creates a great impact to day to day experience.

There is raw performance in Blender and perceived performance. Both makes blender “faster” for the end user. This patch will make experience working with nodes so much faster. It’s really tiresome to zoom in and out on a shading network to find the right nodes and connect them. NodeWrangler helps but this patch is a long time overdue.

Great job!

10 Likes

Nice. I probably wasn’t the first, but I’ve reported so many of these types of very basic Ux things over the last few years. I’ve given up for now, but nice to see some of it getting implemented:

2 Likes

Yeah, it sucks that it takes so long. But I guess these features were very low priority for years since there were not enough people on the team who cared enough about UI/UX. This situation is changing slowly for the better as far as I can see.

2 Likes

Just tried it and it is quite good. In some other programs this is implemented terribly, like you move your mouse to the edge and it either shoots off with light speed or crawls like snail, depending on zoom factor.
I think Photoshop is or at least was like that.

1 Like

Yes, it’s implemented really well and in smart way if you read the notes to the commit. I’d personally prefer a higher top speed. Not sure if there are any controls exposed for this in the settings anywhere. Couldn’t find yet. But the dev says it’s easy to control both bottom and top speeds.

Would be nice to see an option to adjust this a bit for myself.

2 Likes

By the way, it also works when duplicating and/or dragging nodes to the edge. Nice! :sunglasses: So much more intuitive.

1 Like

There are so much work and responsibility for UI module it’s really hard to take care of them. New features should get UI pass (or get icons) and there are also huge pile of backlog tasks. There are also new big ongoing features like asset browser and pose library that feels like more about UI than technical implementation in a sense that they really want to make it perfect from UI/UX standpoint.

From time to time I go to UI workboard and look at tasks, especially that listed todo tasks such as this. This one for example more or less up to date since Julian Eisel looked at it in late 2019.

There is also a lot of patches for UI which is good but those should be checked by people such as Julian. So while they are making it easier by doing most of work there are still bottleneck in review process.

So in current state of things it’s perfectly normal to feel like many things aren’t addressed but it’s definitely better with additions such as this one. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well, for one thing there’s literally thousands of papercuts in a thread too, and that whole section of the forum they created when the thread overflowed… unfortunately, the official word is that it’s too much to go through, so literally years of feedback from hundreds of users wasted. I was hoping that the devfund would allocate resources so someone could go through it, but apparently not.

2 Likes

The papercuts were a naive idea from the start. It is not realistic that anyone could keep up with them. It is amazing they are looking into having a closer relation with the community, but there is just no way to get this to work in the long run.

4 Likes