Developing Landscape

Hi,

Here are some screenshots of the game world I’ve been working on for the last two weeks.

I’ve been trying to figure-out how to paint multiple textures (using the texture splatting technique) with more than one stencil map.

I’ve used Blender’s Node Editor to create a network, which allows as many textures as I want.

The only problem with this solution is that it becomes very difficult to select the particular stencil map that you want to work with Texture Paint Mode.

I don’t know whether it is a bug in blender, but when you select the stencil map in the node editor - indicating that you want to paint on to it, this doesn’t update in the Texture Paint Mode and you end up painting onto the wrong stencil map.:mad:

***Scroll down for an update 7th April 2009

From,

Journeyman

Looking nice, keep going!

Looks good, very good

Wow, that’s awesome!

Looks very good, thank you for revealing your Nodes settings.

niiice!!!

:eyebrowlift:A little update on my landscape project.

I’ve created a Sea Foam shader using GLSL.
It’s located here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?rd3gonxe0nc

Basically, it perturbes the UV coordinates of each texel to create a warping effect.

In addition, it uses a stencil map to control the alpha value of each texel, so I can just paint the effect anywhere I want it.

here’s a screen shot:

Also, after reading this thread:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=152343

I’ve been playing with Martinsh’s Bloom Filter.

here’s the screen shot:

From
Journeyman

WOAH! That’s amazing. I’m afraid I’m stuck at 2d and pencils :frowning: :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

I’ve just released the Ocean Shaders in this thread:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1353682#post1353682

Enjoy,

Journeyman

Are you going to make a game out of this? This is really cool!

Thanks! for all your comments.

My intention is to make a game demo for my portfolio.

I have two possible ideas. Either a racing game like Motor Storm or a Zombie Shooter.

I haven’t decided yet. I want to do a bit more work on the environment, like vegetation, waterfalls, lava etc.

Cheers,
Journeyman

Lava?! What would that be for? This should just be normal nature. Welll, perhaps lava if you made a volcano…

Looking very good! Maybe you can make a forest or something? Adding a little cabin would make for a good start for a zombie shooter.

Yes! I definately want to do a forest area, but I need a LOD system to switch distant objects from high poly to low poly models or billboarded sprites.

I’m not sure whether this can be effectively done using a high level scripting language like python, but I will do some testing.

From,
Journeyman

I had a similiar problem. I did not use the node editor though. Using regular materials I found that you have to hit tab to go from texture paint to Edit/UV mode. Then you can select the right stencil in the UV/Image editor area. Perhaps you have to switch to Edit/UV mode then select your texture in the node editor? Just guessing though.

WOW! That looks really nice! Good work with the texure splating. :slight_smile: