Did I do a good job with these meshes?

I created these objects just as exercises in modeling technique:

If anyone has time, please take a look at my meshes and let me know how I did: Dinnerware.blend (671 KB)

Please be as nitpicky as possible. Do I have too many subdvisions? Not enough subdivisions? Are some vertices not in the same plane when they should be? etc?

Thanks in advance for any help. I’m trying rather hard to understand what is good and bad when it comes to topology. (I’ve read some material on it already so I think I have the basics down.)

It’s not bad, but when you intend to subsurface an object you should avoid n-gons. notice the weird shading where the cup handle meets the cup. that is caused by n-gons. there are also some on the fork. imo, you should start extruding the handle from one of the existing faces, and then use subsurf to smooth it out. it may look squarish, but once you hit it with subsurf, it will be a nice rounded curve, and you just increase the levels until you have the desired smoothness.

Thanks for the help. Part of what I was trying to figure out with the cup is, what if I have one part that seems to need a different mesh density than another part and I want to merge the two together? Like, say I couldn’t reduce the density of the handle because I needed all those edges to create the shape I wanted. Do I have to retopologize the cup body so that the point where it joins has the same density and I add edge loops for all of the irregular vertices that would otherwise be created where the handle joins the cup?

I don’t know what a “supporting loop” is. What does this mean?

As for the fork, how should I avoid ngons where the fork tines meet the body? Do I add extra edge loops going all the way down the fork handle or what?

The other thing I was trying to figure out is whether I should use a grid fill at the bottom of the cup, or a pole. The grid fill makes the edge loops continuous around the cup, but then they’re not symmetrical. The pole terminates the edge loops, but then they’re symmetrical.

You would use edge loop reduction techniques to get matching amount of vertices at the connection, not connect it but leave them as separate geometry, or if neither are acceptable then you would go and make it work with the cup body (and would only have yourself to blame for that).

Support loops aka perimeter loops, those have many names. Their main function is to hold an edge with subdivision surface and control their sharpness

Edit: note that you could also use edge creasing to control the sharpness, other applications have that too. But edge creasing doesn’t export to other applications which is why support loops are the preferred method. For the same reason it’s also a requirement if you’re going to sell your models at some point.

This one needs support edge loops all around to get the angles

Might not be critical with this shape but having a continuous quad face loop (orange) makes the edges continuous and uniform. They give you the ability to adjust the sharpness on the edges and separate them from whatever flow is in the middle sections (blue, grey). Yours had n-gons near the edges and continuous face loop around the edges would’ve kept the edges more uniform and more controllable.

Could direct the loops going to the sides. Or not use subdivision surface for an object that doesn’t have that many curved parts.

Doesn’t matter much how that is filled, as long the shape looks good on the bottom. having edge loops in the middle might be handy if you want to use mirror modifier.

Yes it’s the subdivision result of the original editing cage in object mode. Wire display is on and subsurf optimal display is enabled.