Diesel Electric Locomotive

Hi @Drtikol,
and yes, I am only using standard sculpting brushes.

My method:
First I create a “subdivideable” high-poly mesh.

Copy it and make a low poly for baking the normal map later on.

Then take the high-poly mesh again and make the geometry evenly distributed.
I only do this to areas I want to sculpt on. My example has pretty long rectangle shaped faces on the corners, but for just sculpting damage this works fine.

For sculpting the damage I added a Multiresolution modifier and exclusively used the scrape (for the edges), crease (for sharp dents) and grab (for larg dents) brush. Those were the ones I was most comfortable with as someone not used to sculpting.

I hope this is what you were asking for, if not, just let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your workflow, yes this what I’m asking for. I’ll sculpt damage on the oil pan and other parts on my project, so every tips is very useful for me.
THX

Texturing still in progress, not a lot happened this week, Substance Painter is eating up half of my RAM at the Moment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow looks nice! I really like those damage details you’ve made.
Do you have the exact model of locomotive as reference?

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I first planned to make a closely matching replica of one locomotive model, but for the one I chose it quickly turned out that there are almost no interior photos available.
So it will be a Frankenstein locomotive patched together from 2 different models :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahah, as always!

Some more texturing done this weekend:

4 Likes

nice progress;)

1 Like

Unfortunately there was a lot of stuff going on recently that kept me from working on this project.
But today I was ably to finish most the texturing of the cabin. Tomorrow I will to the doors and then maybe start working on some assets for the cabin.

9 Likes

Doors, still WIP:

4 Likes

esta brutal este proyecto

1 Like

@strapazie I love what you’re showing in this thread! Keep them coming :slight_smile:
Question: how much Substance Painter has changed your work? Do you feel it just sped up the work or it’s a tool at this point of your workflow you feel you can’t work without?
I guess I’m trying to figure out if it’s something that can really push the quality or if advanced texturing is doable in Blender anyway. Oh well, I’m also waiting to see what happens with Quixel… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@xhenier Gracias, I guess. :smile:
@Andrew_Ray Thank you. :slight_smile:

Expand to see my answer, turned out a little longer :)

Actually I never used Blender for complex texturing tasks, fiddling with nodes and growing node trees was never a fun task for me. So I cant really answer if it sped up my workflow, becauseI had none before. Finding out how this all works together was one of the targets of this project.
In my first project with a little bit more complex texturing, I used Quixels NDO and DDO, which was painfully slow, and crashing all the time. This was the reason I moved to Substance Painter and I don’t regret it so far.

Can you do this kind of texturing in blender? Sure!
…BUT…

• building the masks an setting everything up as you want it, is a matter of minutes in Painter. I dont want to imagine how long it would have taken me to learn how to set up the nodes to achieve the same result. Would be way too technical for me…
  • making changes afterwards in Painter is a Drag-Drop job most of the time, in blender you would probably have to rearrange a ton of nodes depending on the change.
  • if you don’t already have grunge masks, brush alphas, textures etc you will have to gather suitable ones for your project first, whereas Painter already had everything I needed for my project.

I think the quality of you complex texturing work can and will benefit from using a dedicated texturing software (wheter it is 3DCoat, Mari, DDO, Painter). Not So much because you cant achieve the same quality in Blender, but because you can just focus on the texturing part, no need for setting up anything. Not saying blender is bad, it is just not the way I have fun working, and this is what it is all about for me, since its a hobby :wink:

Just start a trial and test it yourself, I used this tutorial to learn the basics :slight_smile:

And yes, I am also having Quixel on my radar, I actually wanted to wait for them to release their succesor of DDO, but it took them too long and so I decided to go for Painter in the meantime.

If you want to chat further, just PM me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your thorough reply @strapazie!
I love texturing, it’s part of what I find really appealing in your renders. I should probably look at Substance. I’ll wait a little more to see if Quixel will finally come up with something interesting.

I taka a look from time to time and this level is insane. :open_mouth:

Thank you, progress stagnated in the last months, but I hope I can find time to work on this project soon :slight_smile:

How to learn LOCOMOTIVE modeling pls anyone give me tutorial for making the LOCOMOTIVE in blender 2.8

I’m really liking this project. I’ve stolen some of the images of the console to use as inspiration for a few of my own curtent projects. Not nearly as good as this!

for small bumps you could simply use a painted map

see Jayanam short tut here

and looks like it is giving nice results and low poly

happy bl

2 Likes

Very nice detail! I am taking copies of some of your images for inspiration and ideas. I have been working on a steam locomotive for a while and this will help me.

I will be watching your progress!