Difference between mesh.faceUV and mesh.vertexUV?

Hi guys,

I’m a bit puzzled by the purposes of mesh.faceUV and mesh.vertexUV.

I thought that the faceUV should be 1 when you actually map individual images to individual faces, and that’s why the vertices in each face could have different uv coordinates with respect to the right images.

I thought that the vertexUV should be 1 when you map the entire mesh to a single image, because each the UV coords of each vertex is conditioned on the sole image, not each face.

However, when I used the uv editor to map an unwrapped cube to a single image, the python interface says that the faceUV of the cube is 1 and the vertexUV is 0.

Furthermore, when I used the uv editor to map a single face of a cube to a single image, the python interface still says that the faceUV of the cube is 1 and the vertexUV is 0.

The only time I can get the vertexUV to be 1 is when I click the “Sticky” button on the Mesh Edit panel.

I’m rather confused with the purposes of vertexUV and faceUV, could someone please give me some explanation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

-D

They are flags that tell you if the uv-coords are stored per-face, or per-vertex. It doesn’t have anything to do with how many images are associated with your mesh.
So, yes, when you use real-time uvs, faceUV=1 and vertexUV=0 because the created uvs are stored per-face.

In most cases youll want to use faceUV’s, vertexUV’s are created when you press Make “Sticky” - blender refers to them as sticky coords, and there is no way to edit them in blender.

Thanks a lot for the explanations, it’s much clearer now.