Differences in Mac and Windows 3.0?

I’m doing the Blender Guru Donut Tutorial for Blander 3.0. He is, I assume, using a Windows version, and I’m using the Mac version on a MacBook Pro 16" M1Max.

When we add the icing mesh to the donut by selecting the top half of the mesh and duplicating, then making it a separate mesh (“P”), my mesh turns RED, while his is still orange. Can someone tell me the significance of a red mesh?

Also, when he adds the Solidify modifier to the icing mesh, the thickness of the mesh extends inwards (into the donut), while mine extends outward, making the donut look like it’s got a muffin cap on it. In both cases we show the Offset as -1. He then changes it to 1 to get the offset in the right direction. Since I have followed his steps directly, why am I not getting the same result? I have a feeling that the icing mesh being red when made a separate mesh is something to do with this.

John

I’m not sure about the color change, but as far as the solidify issue goes, select your base icing mesh, hit Alt-N, then choose either Recalculate Inside or Outside to get the desired effect.

I’m not sure what I was doing when I used this approach, as I had not realized initially that there was a choice between Inside and Outside. I tried both and nothing seemed to happen, however I forged on, and eventually switched the Offset to 1, and then moved the Solidify modifier above the Subdivision modifier without anything going clearly off the rails, so perhaps this has solved the problem. Thanks!

1 Like