Different background image in all 3 views + 3 more questions

1. I know i can have different background images when i have slitscreen. But can i have that when i only have one view? And it will change background image when i change view?

2. How do i deselect verts? (not all just one)

3. How do i change defaultdirectory when i click “Load Image”. Ex “c:/textures/” instead of “c:/”

4. When i have slitted the screen in four views. Can i temporarily “go in” in one view and later go back to the four views?

Hope you have a little time over to answer my newbie questions, and i can assure you i have really searched!

What I usually do is uv map my pictures to separate planes. For instance, say you were modeling a human head, and you have a front picture and side picture, and you wanted to split your screens and rotate your views respectively, and show the front shot for the front view and side shot for the side view.

Creat two planes, and individually uvmap your pictures to them. Then rotate them and move them to the proper view. Make sure you are in potatoe mode so you can see the uvmap, and set your mesh to wire frame under the f7 buttons.

-Brian

1. How do i deselect verts? (not all just one)

hold down the shift button and right-mouse-select the vertice. If it doesn’t deselect it, make sure there isn’t two vertices there that it is cycling through.

-Brian

1. How do i change defaultdirectory when i click “Load Image”. Ex “c:/textures/” instead of “c:/”

go to the user preferences window and click on the tab “File paths”. here you can set your default directories.

1. When i have slitted the screen in four views. Can i temporarily “go in” in one view and later go back to the four views?

yes. just pick the pick inside the limits of the window you want to enter.

-Brian

Thank you very much BrianT.
I’m not really familiar with uv mapping yet but i found a tutorial.
Only one thing i didn’t get. "yes. just pick the pick inside the limits of the window you want to enter. " Whick pick should i pick? :-?

You mean use a different window set-up? Like a set-up which has 4 3d windows open and no buttons window, and another with one 3d window and one buttons window? You can set-up your whole screen with by splitting and joining windows, then save that set-up by going to the drop-down in the top header which probably says “SCR:2-Model”. Click ADD NEW to save the set-up. You can rename it for example “4-split modeling”. Go back to a default screen set-up and modify it into a new set-up. Save it again and call it for example “1-split texturing”. You can rename a window set-up by Shift-clicking in the drop-down. Read more about screen set-ups here:
http://download.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/c640.html#BSG.IFA.F.MAK.CO8 (the section called Screens)

If you use the uv-mapped planes method explained by BrianT you can automatically change the height-width ratio of the plane to that of the applied texture using this method:

1. Do not only apply the texture as a uv-map, but as a normal texture too.
  2. Go into object mode with the plane selected.
  3. Press Alt+V.

I understand what you mean, but that wasn’t really the answer to my question. Have you ever user Maya 3d? In Maya you can have four views, then press “space” to go temporarily in to one view. Then press “space” again to go back to all four views. Maby a lousy explaination but i hope you understand.

Wow! That really worked, thanks a lot.
http://hio.ath.cx/tmp/potato.jpghttp://hio.ath.cx/tmp/wire.jpg

As you se in the pictures above. One in potatomode and one in wireframe. And my question is. Cant i have the plane behind (with the picture) in potato and the plan i will model to in wireframe? I find it annoying to dont see the picture behind when i’ve drawed up an rough model of the object.

Thanks in advance.

I’m surprised no one has answered this question yet. Blender does have the same feature as Maya to take a certain view into fullscreen.

Just move the cursor over that window and press [ctrl]+[up arrow], and then repeat that to return to the normal views.

I still don’t understand what you mean by your question about the views, but I hope that Wiggie answered it :slight_smile:

I’m surprised no one has answered this question yet. Blender does have the same feature as Maya to take a certain view into fullscreen.

Just move the cursor over that window and press [ctrl]+[up arrow], and then repeat that to return to the normal views.[/quote]

Exactly what i meant. Thank you :slight_smile:
My other question about wireframe and potato, do someone know if it’s even possible?

Edit: Fixed that problem myself. Select the object you want to change and then go to Object (F7). Under Draw-Drawtype change to what you want. :smiley:

and set your mesh to wire frame under the f7 buttons.

Sorry I was a bit vague about this, but I am glad that you ended up finding it. is everything else going ok for you now?

-Brian