Different Resolutions in Video Sequence Editor

I’m trying to put together my new demo reel, and I want to use NTSC at 720 x 480 . Most of my videos are at that resolution. However, I also have a video that is 1080 HD that I would like to use. When I import my HD video, it squishes to fit the NTSC resolution. How can I scale the HD Video down, and keep the correct aspect ratio. I don’t know if I want Black bars on the tops and bottom, or if I want to simply scale and crop. If I was using Premeir of After Effects, I would simply import the movie (which would import corectly) then I would scale it the way I like. How do I do this in Blender?

Maths. For best quality I apply a texture to a plane in 3D view and reshoot that (with a ortho camera). Scaling the plane (find ratios on wikipedia) to the correct aspect ratio. Ottherwisee you use a translate effect strip in the VSE.

But no, you cannot specify file type in Blender same as AE etc.

Currently that’s the way blender works, with the changes a head with the VSE you’ll be able to resize the sources independantly, which goes a little way to what you want to do, but that’s not available yet. :frowning:

I don’t know if I want Black bars on the tops and bottom, or if I want to simply scale and crop. If I was using Premeir of After Effects, I would simply import the movie (which would import corectly) then I would scale it the way I like. How do I do this in Blender?

Yes and Premiere would also sort the PAR, deinterlacing (if required) and colourmetrics which are the other aspects involved in going from SD to HD or HD to SD. Although Premiere would stuff other bits up along the way with the exception of CS5 :-). But Blender’s VSE isn’t an NLE. :slight_smile:

Other than 3pointedit’s suggestion or possibly with nodes or prerendering an importing as a seperate operation.

If you want to do it right, like an decent NLE would then blender alone is not enough.

You could use Blender in combination with AVISynth using a script called SimpleSlugUpscale. It will handle everything needed including your resizing.

Although it’s main purpose is upscaling SD to HD it also does HD to SD very well too, including, pillar box, letterbox, crop, decent deinterlacing (if your any of your sources are), changing the colourmetrics from BT709 HD to BT601 SD so you don’t get subtle colour shift, decent algorithims for resizing and a decent colour space conversion to start with. :slight_smile:

+1 AVIsynth

scaling works fine in the vse now, just adjust offset and scale as you please. I was recently experimenting with this for matte panning animation of these factors with f-curves. Works. eg: