Difficulty following First Animation tutorial

Hello,

Very new here, so I may be so ignorant that I won’t be able to ask the right questions.

I was proceeding through “Your First Animation in 30 plus 30 minutes Part II”

Everything was going fine until I reached the part about ‘removing undesired vertices’.

When I ‘Select the Right arm group’, then press the ‘Select’ button, I don’t get just a few vertices as shown in the illustration, “Gus in EditMode with all the vertices of group Arm.R selected”. I get ALL the vertices in the right arm. It looks as if ‘Select’ grabbed all the subsurf vertices.

The illustration shows Gus with a squarish head instead of the round head as well.

I’m sure that I’ve failed to see or do something but I don’t know what it is.

revdoug

When you select the Mesh with RMB, do you still have a SubSurf Modifier in F9 buttons, Modifiers tab? It sounds like you clicked “Apply” on the Subsurf Modifier and now what was the subsurface inside the original cage has become the cage itself.

%<

Thank you for the response. And the answer as well!

I began working with Blender in a much earlier version (2002-2003). I drifted away from it and v2.44 is different enough so that I decided to start all over.

I’m unfamiliar with the Subsurf>Apply. What is the need for it, and when should the ‘Apply’ button be selected?

revdoug