Difficulty seeing selecting items whilst in object mode and edit mode

Just starting out; i tried 2.7 which i Liked. So i decided to move onto 2.8 to keep up. I’m following a few video’s to get up to speed but my version does not operate like some of the video’s … i understand there are new things to discover. I can’t see any of MY Verts, Edges or Faces when selecting in Edit mode, 2.8… I’ve checked preferences and all are set to the orange color, but when selecting anything nothing seems to be highlighted - i can move all normally and i’m set to left click. It is a pain not knowing what is/are selected… in object mode it is very difficult to id which object has been selected. I can just make out the orange boarder of the object, in wire mode, but not in solid mode can i set the thickness of selected lines. verts etc… any ideas? thanks for any help…

2.8 is still in beta stages, despite all the videos and tutorials out there. It is still going through changes and the 2.8 manual is not even current with the release. So until the full release comes out expect a lot that will change, bugs to be fixed. That is the reason behind a beta release is users get to submit bugs, and issues. So just keep that in mind.