Dilay; A new FOSS sculpting tool on the block

http://abau.org/dilay/index.html

Licensed under the GPL, so Blender could potentially borrow code from this app. for certain features even if it gets something really innovative.

So far, it seems pretty standard as far as Sculptris type apps. are concerned (with the exception of the sketch tools which look pretty similar to Zspheres). Otherwise, it doesn’t yet have much that’s not already in Blender, but I would like to see Blender’s OpenGL modernization include the brush contour drawing directly onto the mesh and the symmetry line (which would be nice usability features).

I guess it may or may not be something used by a lot of people here, but it does have potential for people who mainly use commercial applications for their work (though it really depends on whether this project gets enough momentum to stay alive).

I tried it. Its really easy to compile and has sculptris like dynamic topology that triangulates , paired with a knock off of zbrush zspheres and zsketch.

Call me crazy but I find that the implementation in this software and in zbrush works much much better than blender’s skin modifier. I am sorry, but the skin modifier’s result meshes tend to break/collapse/implode when you add joints at certain angles whereas this does not. Why cant we just have zspheres in blender - or a zspehers mode that is like the one in here and zbrush in the skin modifier. This is open source, so whats the problem? The skin modifier needs to be improved.

To try it out delete the sphere mesh(select delete mesh and then click on the mesh), then go to the sketch tab and click on new sketch. Click on modify sketch.

ctrl+click_drag from the root sketch joint creates a new joint that is automatically mirrored.
Shift+click dragging on a joint changes its size.

to try out zsketch clone, after creating a skeleton with the zspheres, select “Sketch spheres” and start adding volume on top of your skeleton. It works very much like zbrush. This is something that i would love to see in blender one day.

When done you can convert it to a mesh and sculpt (convert sketch, then click on sketch).

What a great little application! Totally agree with @blurymind, even though I’d rather have both the skin modifier and this one. The way it triangulates seems better than Blender’s as well (a lot like Sculptris), but I may be wrong.

I’d love to have both this Zsphere and Zsketch knock offs in Blender as well.

to me the main issue with the skin modifier is the broken meshes that it tends to create due to the way it generates them.

For a sculpting base mesh, i dont mind if its triangulated if the zspheres are not limited by any angles the user gives them. Another huge advantage is being able to add muscular volume with zsketching, but I doubt that will come to blender any time soon due to the design not fitting with blender’s.

Its great that a tool such as Dilay exists and I think we shouldnt underestimate it’s potential.
It has already managed to do a better job than blender in terms of creating a base mesh in zspheres style (better than skin modifier) and perhaps even it’s dynamic topology will get better.

Only a matter of time till it catches up with sculptris, if the dev keeps going at this pace.

I will use it with blender and hope that it continues to mature

Skin modifier is much better than this implementation even better than z-sphere the only problem is the limitation in multi-branch and the bad generation of geometry in some case but this can be solved with little effort I hope the dev give some love to the skin Mod…

• Sculptris tessellation is good and generate smooth surface but Blender tessellation is more artistic and blocky.
  • Dilay sketch is good but need the evolution method to blend much better between branch
  • the only difference is the relaxation in sculptris is what cause the smooth surface and distribute better the tessellation

I find that I always have to remesh after skin modifier in Blender, and even then it may be broken. It could definitely be improved.

@RaphaelBarros: It looks like the exact same as Sculptris algorithm, just slightly different brushes.

@blurymind: Did you test the application with a drawing tablet?

Due to being unable to get Sculptris or Meshmixer working on manjaro ended up stumbling over this.

A few things missing – -
Orthographic view
Wireframe doesn’t show.

That’s about it.