Dimitris, simply sculpting

(michalis) #1

A portrait of a friend, just sculpting.
Used sculptris mostly, zbrush and blender for the shirt, glasses, retopology, some final edits and rendering (cycles).

Attachments

(Jbest) #2

!!! Wow, it’s amazing. All I can say. No critiques whatsoever.

(dleri) #3

Excellent work! The word ‘amazing’ doesn’t say enough.

Really, the only critique there could be is that the glasses are missing their lenses.

(dreif) #4

Yes, very nice ! :slight_smile:

(michalis) #5

Thank you!
Eh, no lenses. It doesn’t work. I deleted them.
I have a version without hair sculpting, for painting and particles purpose. There, lenses will be fine.
And a real watercolor just for fun.

Attachments

(chipmasque) #6

Love the watercolor! I think the sculpt would be more appealing if the eyes could be seen, windows of the soul and all that, but otherwise a solid piece of portraiture. The faux-stone finish is a good, but I think a cast-bronze material would complement the sculpting style better, reminds me much of Rodin. Got a fair one if you’d like to try it.

(organic) #7

+1 for bronze, some green patination would be awesome.

(Paint Guy) #8

Nice sculpt Michalis. I like the Material. It has a clay feel to it. Is the material a Blender material and care to give some idea how you made it?

(arexma) #9

Great stuff, the only thing I personally dislike is the sculpting of the hair/beared detail. It might be intentional, but compared with the watercolor it pulls it away from realism and makes it look like a greek bust. I like that look too though, and judging by his name, it´s intentional he looks like a greek bust :wink: I just think it´s a break in style, the modern shirt with the ancient greek hair. To me it feels akward, yet intresting.
On a sidenote, on the watercolor your friend looks like a highschool poetry teacher, while in the sculpt, with the hanging almost closed eyes, he looks a lot like Bud Spencer :smiley:

(tyrant monkey) #10

Nice stuff. I love that water color painting its really good.

(Aedion) #11

You win the “Best sculptor at this forum” award.
(It’s not much, but now you have to make a tutorial.)

(michalis) #12

Thank you all, I really appreciate this.
I agree with your sugestions. A bronze nice material with some cavity_map based dirt is what I was thinking.
But cycles doesn’t share these ideas LOL. I had some crashes trying to compose more maps but I’ll figure out a different way.
It’s also a cycles test and I’m wondering. Is this a physically correct render engine? I noticed a lot of wrong shadows or indirect lighting. Settings on full quality as possible. r 40078 build.
I’m facing another problem. This is a ~3 k retopo cage subdivided up to 5M (the head). Cycles doesn’t support normal maps so trying to apply bumps on a 80k version didn’t work, now I’m using a ~300K + bumps. It’s too much. If cycles won’t support normal maps we’ll be in trouble.
This texture isn’t great, is to support bumpiness on a bronze like material.

(Rico) #13

My mom said she doesn’t like the stone texture, but then she changed her mind and said its very realistic…

great work!

Guss

(michalis) #14

@Guss thanks
More like dirty plaster to me. Stones need some refraction - SSS thing.
@arexma
He’s a fisherman lol, not a very good one but great cooking. The shirt came from another project, funny mixing of styles. As I already mentioned, I have a version without hair-ancient like. Goes for particles and skin painting.

(samara-99) #15

Nice sculpt and texture.

(JoseConseco) #16

I think this is my fauvorite sculpt of yours. About render I think you could increase main light like 2x to make it ‘pop’ more, but it is matter of prefference I guess. 5* and gallery :wink:

(arexma) #17

That proofs how much one can give on appearances :slight_smile: Fisherman´s nice, would never have guessed.
I actually do like the ancient hair, but the shirt breaks the style. IMO it would work great in white marble or sandstone without the shirt and glasses. It´d make a very believable bust of a greek philosopher. The face and hair are perfect for it. :smiley:

(michalis) #18

Dimitris, just a few mins ago he was face to face with Medusa.
It explains everything, even the greek sculpting style on hair.
Deep thoughts like this, make the great artist :eyebrowlift2::p:eyebrowlift:

(V1k1ngo) #19

Love this one (as usually love your work in zbrush central). That watercolor is really nice!!

(michalis) #20

thank you V1k1ngo.
Another try with newer cycles build.
Still, I’m not sure if I like this renderer. Here I use a cube-room and three lights, no env hdr. Longer render times but still a little ‘dead’ GI and shadows. Cycles at extreme settings.
Will be possible for cycles to support normal maps? Bumps work good on a heavy mesh >300k (though better on 700 k)
Cycles reads the ‘render’ resolution of displacement panel, meaning, better import an already subdivided mesh.
Cycles is an alpha build. I know. But how can we really put it to tests?
Please, take a closer look on the casted by glasses shadow on nose. Weird isn’t it?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24090090/DmCy%232.jpg