Director behind Shazam is showing his skills in Blender

David F. Sandberg has used Blender like for ever and I always feel like he’s our Blender champion behind the scenes in Hollywood.

11 Likes

This is so cool.

Thank you for posting

Didn’t know the guy, but someone who talks with such composure and clarity and gives out so much and well-informed opinions has my instant subscription. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve been on the lookout for a cheap photogrammetry solution too, and he gives his advice on those.

1 Like

His other videos are the same quality. His opinions are of a real professional successful director and it really shows compared to other videos about the subject where people think they know what they talk about.

David makes it seem so easy but in the end, his vision and problem solving removes 90% of unnecessary work beginners make.

Maybe I’m just an old fool who liked the original, campy, Shazam! television series – not to mention the comic-book character himself. (I liked Adam West’s Batman, too.)

Unfortunately the lawyers pounced on the Captain … even made him be a “her” … and never learned anything the cool things that those artists were doing. No character had a backstory like the Captain.

1 Like

50% of our population are women and the number of superheroes that were women were quite low. It’s better now, however making an original super hero is practically impossible as literally every concept has been taken in the 1930s to the 1990s. So taking the concept of an existing superhero and making him a “her” is the only way they could achieve this.

1 Like

Can you find where the movie making rulebook requires the cast of a franchise to exactly match global demographics? I also do not think the number of heroes in the Marvel and DC rosters have a hard cap either, so female superheroes can always be added with their own powers and backgrounds.

@BigBlend, actually in this case the rationale for converting Captain Marvel® into a female character was purely legal. The male character wound up on the wrong side of a very misguided $4 million dollar lawsuit over Superman.® The only way to move the character forward was to make “him” female. So far, no one has repeated the lawsuit to claim infringement over “Supergirl,®” but I suppose that with comic books you never know.

1 Like

It helps that Supergirl and Superman are owned by the same company, while the two Captain Marvels are decidedly not :wink:

Is it even possible for a company to claim exclusive rights to a superpower (at least if it is something more unique than flying and super strength)?

What I mean is that DC and Marvel actually have a lot of heroes who do very similar things (even though not all of them look similar enough to not look like a copy of the one from the other brand). How many other lawsuits are waiting as more protagonists from the archives are brought to the big screen?

We are grumpy old men that have grown with all the cool super heroes in our youth. Let me tell this one thing that will end this discussion in an instance.
My daughter love all the female and male superheroes of today. Agent Carter is her favorite hero. I don’t want a world where my daughter can’t have the same youthful experience as I did with my superheroes.

The kids enjoy these new superheroes. They don’t care about politics and stuff about that. They want to see their favorite heroes to do the right thing.

3 Likes

How on earth did everything go off in this direction and tangent ?

He’s sculpting a monster head in Blender and then tracking it onto somebody ( Himself ? ) in live action all in Blender. It’s clearly possible to do ‘ The Mask ‘ type effects work now all in Blender. So much potential in combining photogrammetry with camera tracking too as seen here. This is showing Blender’s greatest strengths in the best light surely ? In that it is a mostly self contained digital media platform for independent creators.

Awesome stuff all round.

Modern superheroes are simply a current version of the classic myths as Stan Lee used to always say. There were always strong female and male heroic figures in mythology’s and the story’s and interpretations of pivotal mythological figures would constantly evolve and change through time. This is how they stay as living and current. Batman is constantly re interpreted in the same way as Robin Hood or King Arthur. Feature films and TV series comics video games and all forms of popular media are still made about all three of these mytholgical characters. They all stay current as living mythologys because they evolve but also stay the same and always have something to say. These modern superhero property’s may be financially legally owned by corporate entity’s. But they are essentially modern myths that live on for real in the popular imagination.

2 Likes

While I express opinions about “campy TV interpretations” of various characters, I’m also thoroughly enjoying the new characters, and the new interpretations of old ones. I’m certainly not stuck in the past.

In the Batman® universe, the real characters of interest were always the villains. And, I don’t think that we will ever top Heath Ledger’s (RIP) now-immortal performance of The Joker.® By comparison, Batman was the straight man.

I’m a little lost here.

Where in the video is it stated he does the tracking, comp/life action integration in Blender? All I see is Blender used in the sculpting snippet and titles which read ‘camera and geometry in Blender’ in the snippet with the lady walking?

greetings, Kologe

p.s.: Thank me, everybody, for I’m not touching upon the other so-called subject in this thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: typo

1 Like

There are many videos where he uses blender to add small things to his movies but he uses any tool that is most effective to make things fast but good. That’s why he uses blender :grin:

Hey ! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry. Perhaps that’s my bad and I posted in way too much haste. I just assumed he used Blender for motion tracking as he was using it for so much else. He could have used another program. But then it could have been tracked in Blender. The tools are there.

Sorry again for posting what was simply a broad genralisation on my part and watching the video too quickly. I guess it show’s why we all need to be conscientious posting anything online without properly checking or thinking it through.

Nice one :slightly_smiling_face:

@Toka: No need to feel sorry or apologize. :slightly_smiling_face: I was just wondering if I missed something in the video. So we agree, he might have used Blender for tracking, or he might have used whatever else (many possibilities, obviously).

greetings, Kologe