Discombobulator New Version 9-26-05

Very nice script. I just now need to deduce all the controls and what they do. It is better to have a GUI then to just have a script that puts extra geometry in like RED_Dwarf does. But please make a tutorial. I volunteer to proofread it for readability and clarity. I tend to be good at that type of thing. I am doing the same thing for the tutorial on KlopesUtils, though its going really slowly.

Alright, I’ve updated the script.
I’ve implemented the “Only Selected Faces” option for the Nurnies (thanks to DYeater’s suggestion).
I’ve added an “Only Select Tops” feature for the Nurnies (In case you want to run Discombobulator on the random shapes)
Now it runs from the scripts menu instead of having to load a blend file.
And, due to “popular demand”:wink: I’ve renamed the doodads to nurnies (although the variable names in the .py files are still doodads.:-|)

I’ll try to implement customized nurnies next, but it will probably take some time.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, and I’ll try and get to that mini-tut soon SHABA1.

I can’t seem to get the script to work only on selected faces. I’m sure it’s something I am doing wrong. I select Only Selected Faces and Verts (for the heck of it) … I deselect Deselected faces … of course I am selecting a face in edit mode and running the script from there … it seems to work on the entire object though.

I’m gonna have to do a lot more work on this, I can’t seem to figure out how to tell if a face is selected or not. In editmode, you can select by faces, but the python api only has a method for detecting selected faces in face-select mode or selected vertices. This means that selecting the four (or three for that matter) faces surrounding an unselected face will cause the unselected face to appear selected in python.

I was browsing the API specs on Blender python, and found an answer to another problem that I seem to not have noticed earlier, so I will also need to work on that.

DYeater, the only reason I put the script under Mesh is because it only works for a mesh object. The mesh data for an object doesn’t seem to update until you leave editmode, so you will have to click “Discombobulate” in object mode. If you want to discombobulate faces in like a checkered pattern, you will have to use “Selected Faces” without the “>verts” and choose your faces in face select mode. I didn’t mention this earlier, but the “>verts” affects both “Selected Faces” options. Just in case you didn’t notice, there is a “Selected Faces” option for both the protrusions and nurnies, so if you want the nurnies to only appear on selected faces, you have to click on the “Selected Faces” button in the Nurnies area.

Thanks for helping.

Ok … silly me … seems I had an older version of the program … got the hint when you said that there were Selected Faces in both the protrusion and nurnies section … sorry about that.

Seems to work fine now when I select the face in UV Face Select mode.

Now to play :wink:

Geeble! Is there a mirror for your script?

i love this new greeble nurny thingy , thanks!
it gives me warm tingly feeling
would you consider the possiblity to extend it with a cylinder option as well ?

Blender Bender

warm tingly. yes.

Ok, I’ve used the script with success … but for some reason … when I select a plane and press Discombobulate … it comes back with YOU MUSH SELECT AN OBJECT … ok … There is an object selected. This is sooooo frustrating.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Sorry, I’ve been pretty busy with school and all, so I’m going really slow on this. There are some things I want to fix, but haven’t gotten to them and a rework of a lot of code is required.

For those of you wanting more shapes and Nurnies, I am trying to add functionality to create your own, but it won’t come for a little while.

Oyster, there is no mirror but the link should work after a while (sometimes the host is flaky).

DYeater: yah, the program will spit that out if there are any problems outside of a min being larger than a max, I need to fix that (I got lazy). If you want to find out what the problem is, you can edit the discombobulator.py script. At the bottom you will see:

try:
			discombobulate(<a whole lotta stuff>)
			Blender.Redraw()
 		except:
			glRasterPos2d(10,50)
			errortext = "YOU MUST SELECT AN OBJECT!"
			messagetext = Text(errortext)
		Blender.Redraw()

replace this with (don’t do copy and paste because of the <a whole lotta stuff> part):

#try:
		discombobulate(&lt;a whole lotta stuff&gt;)
		#	Blender.Redraw()
 		#except:
		#	glRasterPos2d(10,50)
		#	errortext = "YOU MUST SELECT AN OBJECT!"
		#	messagetext = Text(errortext)
		Blender.Redraw()

Now you should be able to see the console output and let me know what it says and what you did to reproduce it. Sorry about that and I will get to work when I find the time.

Don’t know why this should be the case, but when I removed doubles on my object, the script liked it fine then. This is an image from a short animation I did (from a tutorial) … it was alot easier to do the tutorial with discombobulator :slight_smile:

http://img155.exs.cx/img155/3466/tunnelnoao9zj.png

“Nurnies,” huh? My, you learn something new every day.

Wonder what they call the little lights that they put on starship models? (“Burnies?” :wink: )

Glowies? Teletubbies?

this is pretty cool, i don’t think i ever saw the greeble script, but this reminds me of a ‘red dwarf’ script that someone did awhile back.

OK, I’ve finally found some time to work on this script a little. I did a partial rewrite of the discombobulator.py. I had an old method where I was operating on each face and writing each vertice to a new mesh and making faces. This created a whole lot of duplicate vertices. As I was browsing through the API specs for Blender python, I found out that the NMVert object had an index variable. This allowed me rewrite parts of the script so that it didn’t duplicate vertices.

Other than that, the only change I made was getting rid of the problem where: an error in the program that wasn’t related to no object(s) being selected was caught as no object being selected, not DYeater, if you have that problem again, you can let me know what the console outputs and how to reproduce the problem.

Yah, I saw the Red Dwarf script, but it was lacking what I was looking for. The inspiration for this project actually came from my desire to create a city (which, sadly, I haven’t done yet) and finding the “How to Greeble a City” tutorial at 3d Total.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and I will still work on the custom nurnies (if I can figure out how to do it).

By the way, the discombobulated mesh will always appear on layer 1.

do you have the update still in the works ???

Amazing, I was looking for a nurnie/greeble maker for ages all over the place, then I stumbled across this :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks its great :smiley: :o :smiley:

Ken

Well, if you cannot visit http://evan.nerdsofparadise.com like me, you can use http://www.nccn.net/~w_rosky/evan/evan/programs/discombobulator/index.html instead

from the screens and renders i’ve seen this plugin looks awesome. but I can’t get it to work with the new blender and python 2.3

this is the error I keep getting.

Traceback (most recent call last):
	File "&lt;string&gt;", line 1200, in bevent
	File "&lt;string&gt;". line 387, in discombobulate
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'topsonly'

I tried everything, going to see if maybe there’s a new python out.

I got it to work, I don’t know what caused it to fix but I just restarted blender and everything went gravy :slight_smile:
awsome awesome script.

I was trying to re-create one of my drawings in Blender. The starship has support pylons just full of fiddly nit-picking detail. I was not looking forwards to mesh modeling it.

Then I remembered Discombobulator.

Great Galaxy! It did a perfect job in a fraction of a second. I’m going to be using this great tool a lot!
http://www.projectrho.com/warpwarCGI.html#warpring