Discuss LightWave workflows and LightWave/Blender comparisions here

I think it would take some experimentation. But you could try this.

I would say that you would just have to accept that usually you would not set diffuse to 0 to achieve black. that it would always be used in combination of other things.

So color inputs counter-clockwise.

Color
Diffuse Value
Reflection

Refection value from LightWave swaps values with Roughness and Metalic to achieve reflection.

Diffuse value lowered removes color from color with saturation level to white. Not black.

Plastic from LightWave

High reflection and high diffuse:

Lowering diffuse to get metal:

no reflection high diffuse

Getting specular to to work is another problem. It does not translate directly. Probably have to just find a way to add a highlight based on view angle or something.

1 Like

People have no idea how useful that was trick was. It was used a ton in vfx work.That and the fact the lights could go to 1000% or more. Sometimes I would just punch in stupid numbers to see what things would look like.

Yes, negative lights was super useful. I used it to fake ambient occlusion when that was render heavy.

Yeah. I’ve been told that Blender lights can do the same trick. C4D lights, tmk, do not.

Personally, I prefer the “no-training wheels” approach to parameters, although I suspect that in PBR type math it might be flat-out impossible. But the fewer limitations coders put on parameters, the better: someone wacky will figure out some use for something that makes no RW sense.

Who are all these people & am I in the wrong forum? :slight_smile:

Is there anything similar in blender to LW’s bevel tool, where you could extrude and scale at the same time? Blender’s extrude then scale then extrude again then scale again is kinda slow.

Cheers everyone

1 Like

Welcome!

Probably there are some functions I have forgotten. Likely there is also an addon that does a better job. This is one of those things that LightWave does better out of the box in my opinion.

(right click default)

e for extrude, notice it jumps into grab mode on the normal direction. Left mouse to commit. Or you can jump right to scale or rotate with the key shorts s and r.

whereas in LightWave you can have the move tool active and simply keep extruding, or change to scale etc.
probably good to also be aware of the inset tool “i” which is kind of a bevel tool on one or more faces.

Also for any tool you are using don’t forget about this handy little panel:

Where you can set your options:

Aside from that I am going to step away from the modeling advice because I don’t do it full time anymore and so much has changed in 2.8.

So one word of advice is first check all of the addons that come with Blender. They are not all installed by default.

Lots of third party stuff too.

1 Like

Yes, not immediately obvious, but the inset tool can do this. Choose I, start your inset, hold CTRL and you can then extrude / pull in the inset face, so instead of inset/extrude/inset/extrude, you can jsut stay using the inset tool.

4 Likes

Cool. I knew there was going to be something I did not know or forgot. But this does not allow you to re-extrude without dropping the tool does it?

You have to commit each action, if the tool is not the currently selected tool, you can’t do stacked actions in one process. However, if you have the inset tool active, then you can just release then start your next inset, so it’s pretty darned quick.

1 Like

Yeah, that is what I figured. I was trying to answer to the idea you don’t have to drop the tool as in LightWave.

I think that addon I linked allows you to do that.

Welcome!
I actually think there are more LWavers(old) here than in the Newtek forums. :rofl:

4 Likes

Probably a toss up between here, Houdini and the XSI boards still running… lol

http://www.si-community.com/community/index.php

Thanks for that. --SO many semi-hidden functions…

One thing about Inset: I was checking for “negative bevel” and saw the “Outset” checkbox, but for some reason on a simple cube I wasn’t able to get “Outset” working at all. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Speaking of hidden functions. I came across knife project in blender. Actually I had to do an internet search for how to project a curve and slice with it. The weird thing is knife project is not listed in keyboard short cuts, there is no menu item for it. It only shows up when in edit mode and you use the search function. And that’s granting that you know it’s called Knife project.
How many other blender functions are buried and only accessible by using a magic decoder ring on the 4th Tuesday of the month?
Kidding aside is there a list of all Command functions in Blender? And what mode you have to be in to summon them?

1 Like

:point_up_2:
Don’t complain about it or The Ascended Masters of Blender will fall upon you screaming their battle cry: “Awkshuaally…”.

3 Likes

Awkshuaally…it is under the menu items, Edit mode>Mesh> knife project. Why it’s not with the knife tool? I have no idea. Lightwave had it’s own share of weird hidden items also.

1 Like

True enough, but we called them ‘workarounds’. :laughing:

One thing I must strive to remember is Blender’s little cheat sheet in the status line…:checking: although (oddly) INSET doesn’t seem to have one.

Sometimes things like this make B feel like a graduate project: it’s not fully polished. But, neither was LW.

Most. Modal. Program. EVAH.

Mash3d, one thing that continually baffles me is WHERE will I find various items, once I know they exist? WIll it be in the Face menu? Or the Mesh menu? Or only in the RCLK menu? Invariably it seems the devs will never put it in my first guess. Oh, and in what mode?

The Ascended Masters says it reduces confusion. They’re wrong.

1 Like

Yeah, there are so many things in Blender, Mesh tools is something again, I really should sit and play with as there are so many useful features in it. The face inset fillet alone is something that I will definitely start using. :slight_smile:

1 Like

To continue this. The node network I showed you works reasonably well to simulate reflection/diffuse values. Specular is another story and it is beyond my node knowledge currently.

I think this thread might be helpful:

1 Like

Thanks Colkai & everyone else,

I tried it, it’s kinda similar, but you can’t inset outwards (is outset a word?), you can go smaller, but not larger than the original size of the polygon. I guess I have to learn the new Blender ways :slight_smile:

Also if you don’t start from the right position when scaling, rotating, insetting etc. the tools don’t work probably. I think you have to have your cursor out to the top right, not too close to the object/ polygon for it to work correctly. That’s my experience with the Mac version…kinda disorientating seeing polygons go crazy like that…hahaha

Cheers,