Discussion around Doubleclick in Blender

Don’t overthink stuff. There’s no conflict or broken feature between cycling and loop select. Cycling is on click event and loop is on double click.

Here, doing cycling and loop select without problems

Not sure what’s going on people’s minds really., creating problems when there’s none.

5 Likes

It’s not like double click loop select is gone. Be more than a casual user, change the hotkey in preferences.

People act like Blender has no user preferences - that every hotkey and setting needs to be their default.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. You don’t know the difference between click and double click. :slight_smile:

I don’t want to be bogged down having to make sure I

click

slowly

to do something, just to add a redundant key mapping that’s going to bug out as soon as the program lags anyway, and which we have a better place for already.

Like I said, put it in the industry standard keymap.

You are seriously over thinking things and if you don’t like it you can change it.

Scrolling through the time line is now right clicking what do you guy think about it.

This is a Blender community past-time.

1 Like

To note, people who still want to do things ‘The Blender way’ can set the keymap to 2.79 and the workflow to RMB. Double-click loop selection is an appropriate thing to look at because the LMB workflow is brand new and in a version that favors breaking documentation and tutorials.

The way I see it, a few here are arguing against it as if it’s going to mandatory for all users, why else would so much energy be spent calling for the removal of all changes?

Actually its just preferences right? My colleague has blender on left mouse select, when I need to help him out I just make the switch mentally.

I prefer RMB but its like a tool with a different handle, adapt and itll be fine no?

Or change the prefs :smiley:

Now I wonder if edge to edge ring selection is a thing ? :thinking:

The 2.79 keymap is pointless because it’s legacy. It’s not getting any new tools or features.

For instance, I like pie menus. If I switch to the 2.79 keymap, now I have to manually add the pie menus in. I mayaswell just either learn the new keymap, or alter the new one.

That argument works the same in reverse. Hence why the double click to select edge loops should be on the industry standard keymap, because that’s where it belongs.

It’s an industry standard control convention. For blender’s normal keymap, again, it is redundant, less ergonomic, questionably slower, and breaks something else that works consistently.

You’re going to need an actual argument to include it, because it breaks something.

Oh look, there it is
https://developer.blender.org/T54963

1 Like

I am not creating problem. I am also saying that there is none.

But to me, talking about Selection Cycling only makes sense if you don’t move the mouse pointer between clicks.
I am just trying to figure out what Campbell is talking about.
Nobody will double click on an ortho view where opposite vertices are overlapping without talking time to look at edges coloring. So a double click does not occur, here. There is a latency.
And if you want to select a vertex, you take time to check that.
If you want to select an edge loop, you set mouse pointer hover an edge.

1 Like

I think all of this talk of adhering to industry standards only makes sense in the light of not having any glaring issues that make blender ridiculously unfriendly. Right click by default is one of the big ones that just hurts new users.

With regards to other things, I think the core operations (whatever those are) should somewhat mirror the industry, but I think it is very valid for blender to do things it’s own way where it is better. An example is the Blender camera system. Being able to orbit by just middle clicking so so much better than having to press alt. In Wings3D I was able to orbit and using along with ‘persistent selection’ (where I don’t have to hold shift to add to a selection, I was able to do with one hand (rotating and selecting vertices), what would take two.

Double click to select loops feels very natural and if you get confused between a double and single click, I am concerned that you might have more pressing issues to deal with on your computer like opening files or using menus.

There is an industry standard keymap being made, specifically for this.

I can give you incontrovertible reasons for why double click to select edge loops is redundant, and worse than the current method of selecting edge loops.

It’s not about confusing a double or single click, and blender is not an operating system file explorer where things happen slowly and ui elements and controls rarely overlap. It’s about redundancy, a pointless extra keybind, conflicting with a feature and breaking a design philosophy present in a large portion of blender’s workflow and keymap design.

The conflict is that it will break flow, and require the user to be aware any time they select things to not press the mouse button too quickly.

Being aware of this slows down normal clicks by more than just the factor used as the speed of double clicks, because the user is immensely likely to over-compensate so they can be absolutely sure the computer won’t register a double lick.

This is thinking that takes you away from what you’re working on, and instead forces you to think about how the computer is going to interpret what you’re doing, which is contrary to the design of the general blender keymap and controls used thus far. This design philosophy is in large part responsible for the flow state and speed a user can acquire whilst using blender.

2 Likes

Non sense hahaha.

We need to be aware of this ALL THE TIME, otherwise we wouldn’t able to use ANY SOFTWARE in this world.
You better admit that you just want things to be like 2.7, instead of trying to find pointless arguments.

I’m starting to think that you just entered the software world recently. It’s unbelievable what I’m reading.

2 Likes

Agreed, couldn’t you change it to LMB in preferences anyway?

Maybe after the next big release from Red Hat.
Or maybe not. :unamused:
I hopped distros because of this, now DaVince Resolve doesn’t work (on my Mint), because of reasons. :nauseated_face:

Left-click selection? In Blender?

Witchcraft! :star_struck:

You could, but it was…a little dodgy. There was still some inconsistency when you used it - not every single thing in Blender would swap from right-click to left-click and vice-versa…for example, I think Dope Sheet interaction largely stayed the same with only a few confusing differences.

This new left-click remap doesn’t just switch the mouse buttons, it actually adds some other stuff left-clickers would normally expect, like a right-click context menu.

Sorry, but you might need to rephrase that. “Incontrovertible” is a little close to “objective” and the mods will flick posts in this thread if you don’t add “in my personal opinion” afterward. Right mods?

I disagree with your view on the matter, and am happy to discuss why, but I’m told we need to be explicit about these things being our view. Will you be making that clarification?