Displacement maping

Well… I have seen a lot of nice stuff done with displacement maping but never got around to actully learning how to do it. So, does anyone know where I can find some tuts on disp maping?

Thanks a lot,

Tr@ceR

Not really a tutorial, but in the 2.32 releaselog there is some information.

Click here to go to it

There are a few tutorials for making ocean waves with displacement mapping here, at elysiun. They’re usually in blender general. Ripsting has recently written one. It’s still on the first page. :slight_smile:

Just assign a marble texture to the default material of the default cube, and specify that the material should affect “displacement.” Render and watch. Try the other buttons; render and watch.

If I have loaded a texture via UV Face Select, can I turn that texture into a displacement map, or do I have to load my image through the F6 texture screen?

you have to add another texture channel. select ‘UV’ as its input method and disp as its mapping, and it should work with the UV coordinates you selected through the UV face select mode

What I want to be able to do is displace my image textures. Example; if I have a brick texture, I want to displace the object so it looks like an actull brick wall, not flat. Is this what I want to do that?

Remember that an object can have many materials associated with it; different faces of that object can use any one of them. Meanwhile, each one of the materials can have several textures associated with it (all at the same time). The resulting system is quite versatile.

So you could, for example, use an image as the basis of your materials, and a second image (with white or black lines corresponding to positons where the mortar goes) as the basis of a texture that is assigned to influence displacement. This texture is your map. Another map might be used to roughen the brick-faces. And so on.

There must be some step I am missing. Would you mind taking a look at a simple blend file that I set up for this, to see what step I am missing? I would be grateful for the help.

http://jjfoerch.com/images/d6_5.blend

You made things difficult for yourself by making seperate images for each face. If you paste all those onto one image and save it in a paint prog, you can still UV map it by mapping each face seperately to the relevant part of the image. Then you load it in F6 as an image and change Orco to UV.

When you send a .blend pack the textures you use thru the File menu so we can use them too.

%<

I’ll try that and post my result. Thank you. Re packing: I thought all I had to do was hit the pack button for each image. Thank you for telling me about the “Pack data” under the file menu.

woooowwwww…
don’t forget to subdivide and subsurf…
a quick look at your .blend shows only 8 verts…
one in each corner…and do as above :slight_smile:

hehe, the cube-ness of the project I posted was intentional. I wanted it to be as simple as possible so as to not distract from the problem at hand. Once I know how to do the displacement… well you just watch out… the cooless of my six sided die will blow your mind. <insert maniacal laughter/>

Hello there. I have a displacement mapping problem too:

I just created a displacement-mapped model of the earth. (created an icosphere-5; downloaded an b/w earth-heightmap; applied the texture with sphere-coords; done)

The earth looks quite fine on render, however I do not want a rendered image - I want to export the model to a different 3D-format.

My problem is that the displacement-mapping gets caclulated during render. Therefore exporting just gives me a isosphere-5.

Is there a possibility to “apply” the displacement-mapping?
Or does anyone know where I can get a structured model of the earth?
Or maybe one of you knows a different approach to creating a structured model of the earth…

mmextra

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25814

Thank you! Gonna try it out right away.