Displacement stretches/follows in random direction?

Hi all. This is my first post in this ‘forum’. I am having a problem with a displacement on my model.


As you can see, my displacement is going up and a strange angle and stretching. If you know what a Star Wars Star destroyer looks like, you’ll know what I am trying to do. I can’t attach another image so research yourself if you are unaware.

I have tried fiddling around with math nodes but I can’t fix it.
Please help.

Try just plugging your image node into the displacement, what do you get then?
Also, it looks like you are using a EXR map for your displacement, you might get the result expected using the EXR to Bump node to the Normal on your Diffuse node…

One thing I just noticed. it looks like your Normals are facing inwards…check the normals and also the UV, then look at it in Object Mode. Also I can not see your EXR in the UV editor? What does it look like?

When I plug it directly into displacement I get the same issue, but it just doesn’t stretch as far

When I try the EXR to Bump to Normal on diffuse, it just changes the faces to black.

And yes, my normals are all correct.

What does it look like if you connect it to the bump node and then into the normal on the diffuse…also please uncheck Scene World so that it shows this with an HDRI so it is better for us to see…

It goes into the height on the bump node then into the normal on the diffuse…also get right down in there so we see it…by the time it gets here its too Hard to see anything so far away…
For displacement you will need a lot more geometry for this to work …which is a huge jump in file size…better to stick with using the normals instead…


I’ve added a subsurf modifier to add more geometry

OK…please change the Bump node to the displacement node…if you are going to go the displacement route…The bump node won’t work there it will only work going to the normal dot on the diffuse…


Like this? Sorry, I’m not too familiar with nodes so yeah.

I think this may provide more clarity, I was following this tutorial, but ofcourse it is not in 2.8.

The displacement part starts at 5 minutes.

OK…set up a simple plane …scaled down and out for the strip…
APPLY SCALE and ROTATION! any time you rotate scale anything…
Added the nodes…made sure to set Displacement in the shader editor under Settings…

Hey!


I’m still getting bad results, I think the scale is correct now, but it doesn’t seem to be working with the EXR. Changing the multiply to 6 just makes it worse. Increasing the subdivision doesn’t work either.

Can you select JUST the edge detail you are using, and send it to me so I can take a look?
Perhaps drop it into a new collection and append it to a new Blend File…
Or if willing just the Blend file you are using?

I’m unable to attach files, I’ll upload it to GDrive and post the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JX7LWiLsRGNXF8gYIGzF4EIENuQLY16m/view?usp=sharing

Several problems with the textures and the UV…
First the UV was rotated along the Y axis ( up and Down) when it should have been on the X (R and L)…select and Rotate 90…

The edge Detail was also applyed to the Ship causing all of the distortion on the edges…so in edit mode you select the edge detail…select the edge detail texture and then under the preview select ASSIGN…then you can invert your selection for the Ship and assign the Ship texture to it…That way they will stay separate but still have 2 materials assigned to one mesh…I stopped the detail short of the center back as I saw there was a displacement texture for the engines…


StarDestroyerExport-002.blend (944.1 KB)

Thank you so much man!

1 Like