Displacement work wrong

Hi people!) I need your help! I created the ground using displacement nodes and a displacement modifier. And I get a weird result in cycles render though in evee and viewport everything looks right. Why does cycles give such an strange result?

I have seen similar weirdness with true displacement via nodes in Blender 2.80. It very likely is a bug. I make a habit of filing bug reports about such things, but unfortunately it wasn’t reproducible. If your is, I suggest you do that.

In general, it seems to me 2.80 is still rich in weird bugs. Thus I use it only for toying around so far. For more serious things, I still stick to 2.79.

You can see this bag in this file:
ground 1.blend (1.2 MB)

Thanks, but the image textures seem to be missing, no?

One texture pack seems to be this: https://www.poliigon.com/texture/ground-forest-003
The other one is this: https://cc0textures.com/view.php?tex=Ground22

They are both free, but there’s still a texture that’s missing, Texture.001.

Yes these are the same textures. It remains to add these two textures:

sorry for incorrectly submitting a file without textures)

1 Like

He’s using regular subdivision combined with displacement modifier and some particle stuff.
If textures are to blame, then he should include them. I can’t be bothered hunting down textures on sites.

From what I can see, EEVEE, completely ignores what’s plugged in the Displacement node in the shader, that’s why you are getting different results as it’s using only the Displace modifier.

You need to change the Displacement Scale to get a better result, around 0.01 should work fine.

blender_gEWhyjyh7y

The real issue is that you are mixing pictures with different bit depth, the texture from Poliigon has the correct 16bit Displacement texture, while the others are 8bit, which generate geometry stepping. There’s no way to fix it, you have to generate your texture at the correct bit depth and save them either as TARGA, TIFF, openEXR or any other file format that supports proper 16bit depth. Ground #22 it’s their fault, though.

I don’t think she’ll be able to redistribute these kind of texture.

Ok, she. I stand corrected :smiley: Still, same thing applies. Crop out a portion of it if you feel you can’t share, same as you would with a model you don’t want to or can’t share in full. I don’t think anyone who wants to help is after models or textures.

Why does this look like crap? Sorry I can’t show a screenshot to you because it’s for a new blockbuster movie. But I’m tellin ya, it looks like crap. Pls help! See where this is heading? It’s only a matter of time… :slight_smile:

Thank you very much) Your answer is very helpful to me. Thank you for taking the time to help me) :slightly_smiling_face::chocolate_bar::candy:

1 Like

You are right, but was this the case? I think it was involuntarily that the .blend file was sent without textures. Not everyone knows that the textures, normally, are only referenced. Some software uses a project structure with various folders, so that if you already sent the full project, you just need to send the updated assets to be able to work with it.

We can discuss on how to pack the .blend file so that all the textures reside inside it, generating a big file to upload (in this case ~70MB) or how to troubleshot the error messages that this procedure may generate, like when you remove physically a texture, but Blender reference it somewhere, even if it’s not in use, etc.

1 Like

I would be very grateful if you could explain how to pack the .blend file so that all the textures reside inside it? And how I can send the updated assets (what does it mean)?

Sorry to ask such basic things, I’m just a beginner who wants to understand this topic)

You can pack textures in to the .blend file here:

What @SonicBlue means with updated assets is, that you can share a project folder instead. which contains the .blend file and let’s say a folder for textures, hdris and so on. Now if one of your textures changes, you simply have to send that texture to your friend and he switches them out instead of having to send the whole thing again.

Edit: Don’t be sorry to ask. That’s why we are here. To help you.

2 Likes

THANK YOU SO MUCH:кекс:

That’s quite easy to do, File–>External Data—>Pack all into .blend

Now all the texture reside inside the .blend file, but that’s only to send the whole project.

If you want to be able to work with another person or a team, you have to use the same project structure, so if you put all the textures inside a Texture folder, as long as the project is in the same folder and has all the files, it should load correctly, even if it’s on the desktop or inside the documents folder, etc.

This if you are using relative paths (which is Blender’s default), taking as example your project, the Ground22_col.jpg texture to be loaded automatically when you open the .blend file from another computer, needs to be in the following path \текстури[4K]Ground22, for example C:\Projects\Ground\текстури[4K]Ground22\ or D:\Documents\Ground\текстури[4K]Ground22, as long as the .blend file is in the main directory (Projects or Documents, in this example) the texture will load correctly.

So, if you send the whole project to a friend, as @chalybeum stated, you have to send the full folder structure one time, and then only the newer files, like a new texture or a new revision for the .blend file, to be able to open it correctly.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth and now that I see the actual filename.
Please, as a general advice:
Avoid blanks in filenames. Use ground_1.blend or ground-1.blend instead.
Since Blender is used on multiple platforms and people are using CLI to navigate their FS it can become daunting escaping white space.
This is just as an aside. Take it as a best practice.

2 Likes

Another issue that may came up is if you are searching for a specific file, for example using Everything, if you search for “Ground 1” you get all the files that contains the word ground and 1 (156 in my case), while if you search for “Ground_1” you get the actual file first, then other results like “…background_1”, etc.

2 Likes

I don’t know about other systems. but GNU find would’nt search for substrings by default that would require a specific regex like *ground_1.
Ah, I just remember, that Windows isn’t case sensitive in it’s search also. Or is it?
So you have a good point there.
Anyways, we’re getting off topic.

2 Likes

No, I think so too. My answer was directed at the “legality issue” of site textures (and objects for that matter). I’ve seen plenty of both in provided “help me” files. Not that I care, and I don’t think many do. I prefer to have a small file to check on though. Make it as easy as possible for others to provide help. Normally I ask for textures not to be included. Except baked stuff that are problematic, or in this case, suspicion that the texture itself is causing issues. Then it’s kinda crucial to include it, or at least a part of it - crop away the corners to make it way less reusable.

I wonder if it would be possible via script to create a “need help” packed file that does some of this automatically; choose what objects to include, purge until clean, pack remaining images, keep UI and settings as that can be part of the problem. When done, open new blender instance with newly created file to verify problem still exist.

3 Likes

That would be a nice thing to have, like a HALP button that packs everything necessary, with various options, along with some general guidelines on how to ask for help on the forum.

This will shrink the time frame from posting a question, to getting an answer.

2 Likes