Distortion When Parenting Geometry to Rigging

I’m following a tutorial on modelling and rigging a bi-pedal type vehicle. Everything was going fine and I was down to parenting the toe-parts to the bones. However, when I do, they distort in position between the object/pose/edit modes. What I mean is, in object mode, before I parent them to the bones, they are where I want them to be. However, when I toggle into edit or pose mode, those pieces of geometry move on me where I don’t want them. I’ve attempted it again and again, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what’s going on. This is my first rigging project so please bear with me. Thanksmech.blend (761 KB)

I’m looking at your File now and I have a couple of Tips for you for future Rigging work…

Number one… Name your bones…
Number two… Name your bones after the part they are going to move…

In your Mech you have all the differnt parts named…
like… Toe 3b right…
well name that bone the very same thing…
all you have to do is use Ctrl+C… and Ctrl+V to rename them…
it’s pretty easy and doesn’t take too long and will save you major head aches down the line when you run into problems

To solve your current problem…

Select… Toe 3b right… the object and shift select (what should be named) Toe 3b right Bone… then hit Ctrl+P to Parent and pick… “Set Parent to”… “Bone”…

and that should help…

Also, bear in mind that Edit mode and Object mode are not-necessarily intended to be “visually speaking, ‘the same.’” When you toggle back-and-forth between them, sometimes-significant differences might well be observed.

Edit Mode, to my way of thinking, is very specifically targeted at data relationships between the various things that you might be looking-at. “Objects are exactly ‘where, in 3D-space,’ that you placed them … forevermore to remain …” in Edit mode, so that, “when the time comes once-again to Edit those things, whatever they are,” you’re always looking at the same thing. Transformations and so-forth that you might have applied to the object are stripped away so that your “edit-mode view” is not distorted by them.

And the same, different and opposing, yet “in principle, identical,” mode-of-thinking … applies to Object Mode, and to all the other Modes, in the selfsame way: Each mode presents a purposeful perspective on “whatever-it-is that you are trying to do here,” that will be consistent with itself each and every time you enter it. Direct comparisons of one mode to a neighboring mode are, in one way of looking at it, “apples vs. oranges.”

@sundialsvc4

Transformations and so-forth that you might have applied to the object are stripped away so that your “edit-mode view” is not distorted by them.

wow thanks for the explaination… I haven’t ever thought of the different modes in quite that way… that was good… really good mind clearing thoughts on the subject at hand…

see now this is why I keep coming to visit the forums as often as possible…