distortion with close objects

I’m hoping this is a noob question, and that there’s an easy fix. I have a label that I’m putting on a bottle, and the label object needs to be as close to the bottle as possible, and when I render it I get a distortion like I have duplicate vertices, but the objects a separate, just close. Has anyone seen this before and found a solution that would accommodate what I’m trying to do? Thanks for the help, and here’s an image with the distortion.

http://lubean.com/devin/shared/distortion.jpg

Without knowing if you need to be able to peel the label off or not, I can only offer this advice - sorry if it’s already been considered and rejected.

I’d just texture-map the label onto the bottle. You just need a texture map that’s got your label on it (the background colour doesn’t matter) and another texture map that’s black where the label is and 30% grey where the glass is, assuming the glass has an alpha of 0.3

If it’ll help, here’s a very rough example of what I mean. VBottle.blend
Simon.

Thanks for the reply. I have the label as a separate object because, 1, it’s double sided, and 2, I want to use fresnel with raytrans on the plastic of the bottle. If you can think of a way to make that work using a texture on the bottle, I would be excessively happy, but in another thread no one had a definite answer to solve that. Any ideas…thanks for the reply.