Do blender game runtimes work on Windows 8/8.1?

The title pretty much says it all. I recently released my first game (as a blender runtime export) on Indie DB, and am receiving some pretty positive feedback. However, one user contacted me saying that the download wouldn’t work on his computer. The computer in question runs Windows 8, and is incredibly over-powered (it’s about two and a half times as fast as my computer, the one that built the game). But on launch, it simply says “blender has stopped working” before even loading the game. Does anybody know why this happens? The game works great on Mac and Windows 7.

I should note that I have tried to run the game in Windows 8.1 (the free trial version), with the same results in the earlier testing period. I just assumed that it wasn’t working because I was using the Win8.1 demo, and decided to be content with the Windows 7 version working, and assume Windows 8 would be fine too. But it seems that it’s not… So, has anybody else had the same problem with Windows 8 runtimes?

Thanks in advance!

Did you export 32 bit or 64 bit?
Which is his computer? Windows 8 may have some issues running 32 bit software.

I’ve made and played a lot of blender games in windows 8 and 8.1

Strange… So the game was exported in 64-bit on Windows 7 (a pretty bad one too, Dual-core intel Celeron 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM. It said it was 64-bit though, and I was using 64-bit Blender.). His computer specs are:

Windows 8 (probably 64-bit?)
10GB ram
AMD Fx 6120 six core processor
AMD radeon hd 6700 series video card

And mine were (when I tried Windows 8):
Apple iMac (2010)
Windows 8.1 Enterprise (definitely 64-bit)
Intel core i5 2.5 Ghz quad-core
4 GB ram
AMD Radeon HD video card

So, when it launches it says:

Color Management: using fallback mode for management
BLF_lang_init: ‘locale’ data path for translations not found, continuing

But it says when it’s run in Windows 7 as well, except the finishes launching in Windows 7. He tried running it in compatability mode for Windows Vista, but that didn’t work either.

If you want to try it, the game can be downloaded here (it’s pretty big though…)

Both the Windows versions had the same problem. Could it be because I’ve set the game to run as fullscreen?

Thanks a bunch!

I’ve found that you often have to run as Administrator to get runtimes to work.

Administrator mode didn’t work either, unfortunately. Sorry, I’m really not much of a Windows guy.

***Are you sure that OpenGL graphics drivers are installed?

Windows 8 isn’t that different to Windows 7. It is essentially identical other than a new kernel, minor interface tweaks, and the metro overlay (which is just a modified version of windows explorer). It should work on Windows 8 if it works under Windows 7.

I am downloading it now to test. It is 500MiB, so it will take a while. My specs while I wait:
AMD FX-6100
8GB DDR3 1600
AMD Radeon HD 5970 2GB Dual graphics – 13.12 beta drivers. 14.1 cause HUGE issues.
500GB HDD
Dual 1080p monitors.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I will post upon testing.

EDIT:
I can run the game perfectly @ 75fps (vsync on). No problems loading at all. Quite an interesting game to say the least xD Funny horror :slight_smile:

You should compress those videos with h.264. About the same quality at 1/10 the size. There is a 4-second clip in there that is 95 Mib :expressionless:

Have you tried running in Windows 7 mode instead of Windows Vista? They might also need .NET/VS2008 framework to be installed or maybe Python.

I have tried Windows 7 mode, but I’ll check those drivers! I forgot that you sometimes have to install those on PCs… If that doesn’t work though, I’ll just update the website to have “limited” Windows 8 support.

And thanks for checking the game, I’m glad you liked it. The videos were weird, and I know they’re big. I was having compatibility problems with h.264, so I had to use JEPG (or was it MPEG…) just to get it to work. :confused: If I ever update the game, I’ll definitely try h.264 again! Thanks for the advice. :slight_smile:

I have Windows 8.1 and the 64 bit Blender 2.7 and when I hit P to play game engine blender just shuts down
I even ran as administrator or compatibility mod win7 vista

Try installing the C++ Redistributable 2010 SP1

^ We as developers rarely remember, but there are indeed requirements for BGE games to run. Blender.org mentions that Blender (and so the BGE) should be compatible with Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.

Should Blender report an error on a Windows platform, then one should install the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package. It then has links to the 32-bit and 64-bit packages, so it might be that one needs to install the appropriate one for their OS architecture, regardless of what architecture the game runs on.

For Mac OS X, the only requirement is that it be a 10.6+ version of OS X.

For Linux, it requires glibc 2.11, and that it should suit most recent GNU / Linux distros.

So, if errors arise, try making sure you have the necessary requirements.

My goodness I have not been on BlenderArtists in AGES! Stupid school… Anyways, thank both of you very much for that suggestion! I am actually in the process of updating the game to a version 2.0, so when I get to the testing phase I will try that out! I shall mark this as solved, at least until I find a new problem ;P. Thanks again! :slight_smile: