Do I Need Substance Painter or Marvelous Designer?

Or does blender’s add ons, plugins, and features pretty much cover what those programs are capable of? For example if I get Simply Cloth am I missing out on much by not getting Marvelous Designer? Can blender do basically what Substance Painter does? Thanks!

I don’t know Marvelous Designer but I like Substance Painter because it can make all the needed image files for full texturing in one easy shot (BUMP, roughness, specular, etc). Blender can’t do that. It also offers the ability to save, reuse, and change layered textures using smart materials, so you can easily avoid repetitious patterns in larger texture jobs.

The only downside is you can only rent the software, and it’s fairly expensive unless you go the student route and get a free license.

1 Like

Quixel Mixer is free (not OpenSource). So this could stop being free when the company wants it (although they promise to be free forever), so in the meantime you could take advantage of this.

1 Like

Substance Painter: go for it… it adds a lot to the overall workflow…
Mixer is a good free alternative but it lacks some crucial features at the moment but so does Substance Painter (UDIMs)
Armor Paint is a free open source option for texture painting. Its in active development and is getting new features regularly.

1 Like

Both programmes drastically speed up workflow, and both are actually super fun to use.

Substance is a game changer. You still have to unwrap everything (though they do seem to have an auto unwrapper in BETA which I’ve not tried yet) but it’s super easy to get the hang of, and can allow you to texture things in minutes, rather than hours in some cases. It also has great scaling options, so you can easily switch between resolutions. If you’re doing a lot of texturing, then I’d say give the free trial a go at-least. There are some free alternatives - which I’ve not tried - but I’m going to guess that they don’t have half as much content as substance does.

MD is quite fun to use, and can really speed up the clothes making process - But…you need to kinda understand sewing patterns, or at-least have a very basic understanding of them to make clothing. It can also be a little slow for high resolution stuff. Again, there are some free alternatives which I’ve not tried, but I doubt they are as powerful.

I think ‘substance like’ texture painting is coming to Blender Soon™ - but I have no idea when. I’ve read about it, so I’m pretty sure it’s something that is being worked on, but I think it’s something that’s probably penned for post 2.9.

1 Like

Thank you for the very useful information. You’ve given me a lot to think about!

Substance dont have a proper UDIM support… It still misses the most important feature of painting across udims…
Depending on what you want to do substance painter can be faster but in general you also get it done in blender. But you have more fun in substance for complex materials or so.

The same case with marvelous you can make them faster but you can get the same thing in blender.

It is because these are programs made for this specific task. They are easier to handle but…

The answer is - as is often the case - it depends. What kind of time to you have on your hands, and how complex do you want to get with your textures and cloth modeling?

Both SP and MD are much faster than their Blender equivalents. E.g. I’ve tried out Layer Painter (SP-like Blender addon) which I found slow and laggy as compared to SP. Although I haven’t tried Garment Tool in Blender (I purchased but haven’t yet experimented), from what I can see from videos it doesn’t have MD’s fairly quick simulations nor MD’s ability to tweak/adjust during simulation.

Aside from performance, there’s the separate consideration of features. I’ll only speak to SP; the sophisticated masking and library of grunges/procedurals and base materials would be hard for me to give up.