Do the old tutorials work with the new interface

I am new to blender and I picked up some books on how to use blender. I see there is a new look to blender. I have a couple of questions. 1) Which version of blender did the new layout happen in. 2) is there a way to use my how to books with the new layout since they were made for the old layout. I am using 2.49. I want to learn the game engine but my books are for the old layout. Thanks

To answer your questions:

1. The new layout happened in Blender 2.5 alpha

2. You can use the tutorials written for 2.49 in 2.5x if you are willing to take the time to figure out where the new commands are. Some of the commands and menus have changed names, but the 2.5x interface is easier to use.

There will books coming out later this year with updated information for Blender 2.5x.

I recommend getting: Blender for Dummies by Jason van Gumster which will be updated for 2.5x this summer (May, I beleive).

Cool thanks. I think for now I will learn with the older version to match the books I have and then venture into the new layout. I hope they come out with a new game kit for the new version. Thanks again