Do you give yourself deadlines for artwork?

I noticed that I haven’t done anything recently and if I do, then it’s really inconsistent. I am now trying to create one artwork or model or whatever per month. So that I have one thing I did per month to look back on. What are you thoughts and ideas? How do you manage you time spent with Blender as a hobby (or maybe even work) ? I’m curious.

4 Likes

As someone with crippling ADHD, if I don’t give myself deadlines, I don’t accomplish anything. Up until recently I’ve been far too open-ended with my work in Blender- a few weeks ago, I locked myself down to making something, big or small, in Blender every day. It was probably the best thing I could have done for myself, with the exception of the last few days (I was on vacation), I’ve been able to do just that and learn and grow a lot.

As far as the work/hobby balance, I’m personally quite lucky. I work remotely at a company that doesn’t really care how I spend my time as long as I get my work done. It’s not uncommon for me to work for an hour, jump over to Blender for twenty minutes, spend five minutes catching up on BA, and rinse and repeat. If I didn’t have this flexibility, I’m not sure it would be possible to make something every day

8 Likes

I always give myself deadlines when creating anything basically. That way I don’t waste too much time going into unnecessary details and focus on what’s really important.

6 Likes

The weekend challenge on here, is quite useful for getting used to working to a deadline if you join in. 3-4 days from prompt to close. Not too stressful as its not a real deadline!

I used to work in Live TV, and events. Deadlines existed. Burnout, stress and anxiety followed. But, real life dealines force some pretty creative thinking when, the show HAS to go on.

Hope that helps

5 Likes

It’s good to challenge yourself. It keeps you sharp. However there is a huge difference when under deadline for a customer vs. yourself.

No matter how much you try to challenge yourself, there is no real threat if you fail. For example. You have a customer that absolutely needs an item from you for production. The customer has arranged other areas based on your doing your job and having their product to them as promised.

Now, something happens and you are behind… if you miss that deadline it could be very costly for your client. They have to cancel and or rearrange their entire schedule, pay for time, so on and so on… (circumstances vary obviously :smiley: )

Even if you put yourself in that mindset and pretend that all is real… are you really going to do what it takes to make that deadline knowing deep down that it’s not real?

I personally have never missed a deadline… ever! I have had times where I would work with nothing but bathroom breaks when I was getting close to a deadline and having issues with code. I had one client in Scottsdale that would always send me a rush on Friday afternoon and need it by 2 PM the next day. Less than a 24 hour turn around. Most of the time it was simple data gathering programming, but some of their polls got a bit extensive so the hours were grueling. Great for me as I charged double my hourly rate for the rush LOL!

Yes, it is very stressful! Over the years I have learned to over-estimate the amount of time of projects. Try to eliminate deadline stress. When you finish before your quoted estimated time, the client is surprised and happy, even more happy when they see that they are paying less than the estimated price as well. (I charge time not project… maybe others do it differently).

For something that is new to me… like Blender. I am not fast, not confident in my skills yet… so I might challenge myself with a deadline. It would help me gauge my time so I would know what to charge for my creations. But I will also admit that if I am not getting paid, I may not take it as serious as I would a paying client. :wink:

5 Likes

No, since it’s a hobby. I don’t do deadlines for hobbies; that would cause me to avoid the hobby. Deadlines are bad enough for work; I don’t want to carry that pressure into my personal life. I hate time pressure in all things because I am bad with time; it gets away from me, and when I regiment it I am always extremely aware of it and dislike that straitjacket because it is constantly stressful. I don’t play games that push a time limit on me either. I prefer other challenges than speed, if I feel I need a challenge.

Even the Weekend Challenge here, which is incredibly low key, led to too much pressure for me and I stopped doing it. Instead I am just taking the prompts and think up an entry, but then it goes on my project idea list, to do whenever I feel in the mood for it. I keep thinking that once I am better with Blender, I might participate directly again; we’ll see. It’s a nice community thing, and it does stretch my creative envelope in a different way than I’d do all on my own.

Since there is never enough time in a day for all the things I like to do, consistency with a hobby isn’t really important to me, not in the grand scheme – only when I am working on a specific project. But consistency when learning something, that is important. I make it part of my daily life. I set some time aside every day to concentrate on that thing – It’s not “one project a day” but “at least 1 hour a day”, so I don’t end up with the wrong kinds of constraint. (The time adjusts to what I am learning – anything very intensive, like learning a new language, gets smaller chunks of time more often). I keep notes and a project journal, and jot down ideas for the next day when I have to stop, so there’s continuity. I hardly ever skip, only for emergencies. If I don’t “feel like it” I start anyway – I have a long list of small things to do for such occasions, and I just get going. Sooner or later I’ll feel like it then.

5 Likes

As a hobby I don’t define deadlines, but dedicated time, cause there is no point in turning a pleasure into a torture.

Also the idea of challenging myself to see if I can do it faster don’t make much sense to me. Some want to run, some want to enjoy the ride.

I worked for a long time always following the deadlines of my clients and although they were really satisfied with the results, I wasn’t. I ended up with lot’s of jobs done that I don’t like to imagine in my portfolio but the worse is that after they are done, I don’t want to look at them again.

So, give yourself time and dedication. That’s all you need. Its better to have 3 astonishing pieces of work than 300 mediocre ones. For my personal satisfaction, I mean.

4 Likes

No, and I’m a perfectionist, and my work is never meets my own standards, so nobody ever sees anything I make. Almost.

4 Likes

Oh! One of my most fav topics! (so obviously I’m biased :stuck_out_tongue: )

tldr: Yeah, always, but I’m flexible with how I approach them.

Deadline for me is part of bigger thing that I call productivity. And I always organize my work and hobbies. I like to work on multiple projects at once, so it helps me switching between projects. Depending on size of the project, I spent at least some of it on planning, breaking down things etc. If I am to do sth in 3 evenings, I spent 15 minutes on planning it out. If I do big project that will take a month or two - I can spent couple of hours to plan it out.

To make things simply trackable I tried multiple systems, from very simple list based ones, to more complex ones (right now I’m moving to notion from a custom monstrosity I assembled from 5 other systems).

Here is example of one of my project break down for a weekly challenge

And here is part of a board from one of my current projects

So after I do a bit of planning I have rough idea how much work is required. Based on that and what other stuff is going on, I can estimate deadline. The important thing for me is that I also prioritize my projects. Some of them are really important, and for those I keep the deadlines. Some are less important and I’m OK with moving the deadlines if needed.

Also there are projects without deadlines. Two types of those projects are: learning and R&D. For those I have allocated time, and I just do them. I track progress etc. as with all other projects, just not have deadlines. This is because for those things it’s almost impossible to predict how long it will take. For example, some course I took in the past took not much more time to do than the video time for them, some took 10x of the video time to do.

3 Likes