Does anybody else see vertices everywhere?

Like when your walking around in real life and look around, do you ever automatically start thinking wow, I wonder if I switched to edit mode right now how would the pavement I am walking on look like, for me these thoughts encourage me to learn more about blender, so then when I am actually walking around in real life I can model things on the fly in my brain.

3 Likes

This goes away after a year or two. Same with the dreams.

4 Likes

That goes away. Then you start to think of every material and surface you see in terms of PBR.

7 Likes

Interesting, growing up Iā€™ve always liked anime so I think Iā€™m more of an NPR guy lol.

1 Like

If you ever model faces, you will start seeing facial topology everywhere you look. Also works with painting, and seeing shading and tones. It does go away after a while, thankfully, as it starts to get a little annoying :smiley:

2 Likes

So its a bit like eye floaters then?

1 Like

Same with programming, or physics, or anything thatā€™s related to engineering: for a while everything needs to be described with an algorithm or equation. Can some task be optimized with a loop, how to mathematically describe this, how to solve that problem with certain logic elementsā€¦
Itā€™s in front of your eyes day and night, youā€™d be staring into your dinner and suddenly going: ā€œWait a second, that program doesnā€™t account for the possibility of this data input, it will be stuck in a loop, but thenā€¦ā€. And everyone would give weird looks. Unless theyā€™re going through it themselves. Sanity will return in a while though =D

2 Likes

A similar weird feeling I got was after getting a VR headset. For days after it I kept getting really weird brain stuff happening. It certainly makes you think and realise that we donā€™t directly see anything. Itā€™s all just information processed by our optical nerves and brains.

Stuff like this is usually a sign weā€™ve immersed ourselves in something new and interesting. At least itā€™s more useful than the kind of dreams you might have after binge playing a computer game.

3 Likes

Oh wow, by the way do you know Markom3D on YouTube? I think you look like him a bit, sorry Iā€™ve just been thinking that this whole time lol.

1 Like

ā€¦my experience exactly

2 Likes

I think Iā€™ve watched a few of his videos. I think the only similarity is we both have facial hair. I think Iā€™m a wee bit older and a big bit more Scottish :stuck_out_tongue: I have a Youtube channel where I used to post Corel Painter tutorials. One comment was that I should have provided subtitles.

1 Like

Actual, Charles Schulz (RIP ā€¦ creator of the ā€œPeanutsā€ comic strip) made much the same observation. He said that, when heā€™d be sitting there chatting with someone, his eyes would notice, and sometimes in his mind attempt to draw, exactly how that personā€™s shirt-collar looked. He confessed that ā€œmy mind is drawing all the time.ā€ He said that sometimes he found it to be quite distracting.

1 Like

When this happens to you on a regular bases it means itā€™s time to divert or the crash is imminent.

1 Like

All the time!
Whenever I see a hot girl I think ā€˜Nice mesh!ā€™. And instantly follow up that thought with ā€˜Can I see the wireframe?!ā€™

1 Like

That would have to be like an X-ray :wink: Or you mean her bra?

1 Like

I was just making my first coffee after a long night when femme fatale walked in.
With polygon flows in all the right places, rig nicely deformed her perfectly weighted mesh as she moved. Light coming through dirty windows revealed details of her fine normal map and precise collision physics could make any man stareā€¦
Even before FPS dropped I knew she meant trouble.

5 Likes

Even though Iā€™m still learning terminology I think Iā€™ve got a rough idea lol, makes me even more determined to learn more so I can understand things quicker.

And you are correct:
ā€œā€œPerception requires imagination because the data people encounter in their lives are never complete and always equivocal. For example, most people consider that the greatest evidence of an event one can obtain is to see it with their own eyes, and in a court of law little is held in more esteem than eyewitness testimony. Yet if you asked to display for a court a video of the same quality as the unprocessed data captured on the retina of a human eye, the judge might wonder what you were trying to put over. For one thing, the view will have a blind spot where the optic nerve attaches to the retina. Moreover, the only part of our field of vision with good resolution is a narrow area of about 1 degree of visual angle around the retinaā€™s center, an area the width of our thumb as it looks when held at armā€™s length. Outside that region, resolution drops off sharply. To compensate, we constantly move our eyes to bring the sharper region to bear on different portions of the scene we wish to observe. And so the pattern of raw data sent to the brain is a shaky, badly pixilated picture with a hole in it. Fortunately the brain processes the data, combining input from both eyes, filling in gaps on the assumption that the visual properties of neighboring locations are similar and interpolating. The result - at least until age, injury, disease, or an excess of mai tais takes its toll - is a happy human being suffering from the compelling illusion that his or her vision is sharp and clear.ā€ Leonard Mlodinow

the whole worldā€™s a meshā€¦see what I did there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Lol, Yes! Sometimes this happens to me. Although, I create lots of Procedural Materials on my YouTube channel, and so usually when Iā€™m walking around outside, in the park or around my neighborhood, all I can see is all of the Materials that are everywhere! And I start thinking about how I might make them Procedurally. :joy: