Does anybody know how to use 2 mix nodes together?

I am trying to put another logo on the other side of my model, so far I have done one.

I was thinking I could connect one mix node to another, but it didn’t work out, this is my node setup so far.

Can provide more images if needed.

Same thing as with the first Mix you have there:

• plug output of the first Mix Node into Color 2 of the second;
  • texture color into Color 1 and its Alpha into the Factor;
  • your result is the output of that node.
1 Like

I did that but nothing happened.

oops, my bad. Try swapping the Color inputs 1 and 2

1 Like

I tried messing around with it but I was still confused.

And plug output of the second Mix into Base Color

1 Like

I got the logo but now the other one disappeared.

hmmmm, do those images have actual alpha channels?

1 Like

How can you tell if they have alpha channels?

Like… do they have transparency? It usually can be seen in Image Editor

1 Like

Oh no they don’t, is this how you check?

Yes. So…
An Alpha Channel is a black$white image that tells how transparent each pixel is.
You plug it into the Factor to tell the Mix Node how to mix one image onto another: black means that it’ll take the color of the first image, white - the second, and everything gray is a mix of both. If the image has no alpha it considered to be pure white and so the Mix node just pick the Color 2 as output in this case.

In your case there’s no Alpha in those images. But they are clean b/w images and you can use that.

1 Like

You can also simply plug the alpha into the base color of your principled node.
Or even better plug it into an emission shader node.
That way you can see where on your model the alpha chanel is, if there is one.

2 Likes

Like this?

If you have Node Wrangler addon enabled you can just Ctrl+Shift+click on a node to see its output through Emission Viewer. Repeat to cycle through outputs (for example, click twice on Image Texture node to see Alpha).
Ctrl+Shift+click on a Shader node to get back to normal view.

1 Like

I deleted the nodes at the bottom because I was super confused and I played around a bit and I got this.

Although if you look closely you can see an outline on the pictures, do you know how to remove that?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes around.

Meanwhile, as I understand it, the “outside” of an image filled with black (zeros) and that black bleeds in. Has to do with interpolation. You can set it to “Closest” in your Texture Image node and probably won’t suffer too much in terms of quality. But it’s not an ideal solution.

1 Like

Don’t know if this helps (it’s a bit messy), but here’s what I would do.
Since it’s a b/w image we can put it on a white background, the black rim/interpolation thing can be fixed with a ColorRamp (or maybe MapRange node would be better).
As a result it gives us a clean (-ish) b/w image that can be used as a Factor.

Now it’s possible to put it on any background. And have control over color.

1 Like

As @StrayBillie was referring to is correct…but in this case, it is due to you (1) not having an actual alpha in your images…and (2) what you see is the mixing of both images on the mesh … @StrayBillie masking solution is a good way to go…either with a color-ramp or Map-Range…

I will use something like that when I have a single “decal” or use a UV solution when there is a large group scattered over an object…

Another way is to select areas on the mesh where the decal is going and separate out the mesh and add a new material slot…( better than trying to mix several )
and place each “Decal” in a new slot…
In this example, I did go in and place an alpha channel on the images you provided…

So the Aperture part and the logo part, as well as the base model… all decals have a new material assigned all on one mesh. And the node tree is the same in each…

1 Like

Thanks, I was confused about what Billie said so I was going to take my time to figure it out, but I think I’ll try and figure out what you said right now instead and I’ll post back if I make any progress or anything.