Does anyone think there are too many post areas?

I don’t know if anyone else thinks this and I don’t mean to critcise Elysiun but I just find there are more post areas than needed.

Like the announcements section - there are only 6 threads in there. Why not just use stickys at the top of the Blender General section? Also, couldn’t news & chat be merged with off-topic and other software? I know that they are supposed to be about graphics, non-graphics and other software exclusively but people post about Blender and other software in off-topic anyway.

I don’t understand why there’s a Blender animation section either. Why not have post areas for Blender texturing, modelling, rendering etc?

If people are happy with how it is, then I’m not too fussy. It’s just that I was browsing through a few of the other sections and I saw some interesting discussions and maybe people I could give helpful comments - a few times you get people posting in Blender General because they don’t get a good answer in the less visited parts of Elysiun.

Ok maybe I should just visit the other bits of Elysiun more often but I don’t always have time.

I like it as is. Its not too much trouble to visit other areas of the forums to offer help, though the best help is always given in Blender General, just because more people visit there.

As for merging News & Chat with off-topic and other software- that would be bad. Think about all the spam influx that would be seen in news and chat. It’d be almost impossible to tell what is going on with the overflow of both areas, though if you kept the title as News & Chat there might be less spam flow in off-topic ways. If you want to get rid of off-topic chat, then your best off just getting rid of the off-topic forum.

As for other software, the name should really be changed to something more like Hardware and Software (or something) and should be moved to the same section (not merged with) News and Chat instead of the q&a section. That way it would be easier to help distribute some of the general computer knowledge of this community instead of having it spread out over the whole entire forum.

The point about most people visiting the popular forums is what I think is the main issue I have.

That makes sense. I don’t think spam is much liked in off-topic anyway but sure News and Chat is a more respectable name and less likely to get spam.

Because stickies don’t look very nice, and they drown out the normal threads

jikes, that is the most evil plan I’ve heard in a while. merging offtopic and news and chat won’t reduce useless threads, it will just put them in a more annoying place. It’s better to accept that people don’t always talk about blender and even tend to post reaaaaly strange threads, by having a place where they can do that kind of thing.

I think the forum is about as organized as you can put it now. Not too unorganized nor not too many forum areas :slight_smile:

If the forum needs anything, it needs more post areas.

Here is a list of what I think it needs:

------------------------------------------------

Guest Chat
Guests can chat here.

Books
Talk about your favorite books here.

Video Games
Talk about video games here.

Personal Websites
Talk about your personal websites here,
and give links to them if they are new.

------------------------------------------------

Elysiun doesn’t need them, I just think they would be useful.

??

Of all of those, the only I see with any relevancy at all would be the Personal websites. The others are just… your personal interests I guess?

Because stickies don’t look very nice, and they drown out the normal threads[/quote]

True. Couldn’t you put the stickies at the bottom of the page, though? I think that might benefit in general.

[quote=“Goofster”]

jikes, that is the most evil plan I’ve heard in a while. merging offtopic and news and chat won’t reduce useless threads, it will just put them in a more annoying place. It’s better to accept that people don’t always talk about blender and even tend to post reaaaaly strange threads, by having a place where they can do that kind of thing.[/quote]

Hehehe :slight_smile: evil plan. It’s just that I saw the posts in off-topic and News and chat and I thought they looked quite similar or at least could be brought together. What about the separate bit for Blender animation though, surely you could incorporate that into Blender general. Is there a particular reason why animation was picked and not the other stuff like texturing, modelling?

Noooooo. Now that’s an evil plan ;). I’ll be here all day trying to keep track of the posts.

Well, I have seen a lot worse I admit. It’s just that when I see a forum break up into so many bits, I often see that people only post in a few of the parts so some areas look a little redundant. Also, it’s often difficult figuring out where topics should go.

If I were to make up a list of sections, I would do this:

*News & Chat: post about anything including Blender non-technical

*Finished Projects (including traditional art): finished work
*WIP: works in Progress

*Blender General: post about anything concerning Blender program use as well as use with other software so that new Blender users get to know what other software works well with it but not news like where it was used commercially - that goes in news
*Blender python & plugins
*Blender game engine

*Contests: Probably leave the contests in the same categories. I think there should be a better way to do the speed modelling contests. Maybe just an explanation at the top saying you have to use Blenderchat etc - it’s a bit confusing for noobs when there’s just a list of polls.

*Hall of fame: I see basse has made one but an official one would be nice with a link from the front page so noobs/guests can really see what great work people are doing. The gallery might be an answer to this when it gets back up.

And that’s it.

BTW, why is the foundation bit locked entirely? If it’s for reference, the posts could be sneaked into the end of one of the other sections. They’re mostly programming stuff aren’t they?

the more forums the better!
I dont want to go through a dozen off-topic posts to get to the honey.

I would like to see more function specific forums:

blender-render, yafray, texturing

animation* (exists)

modeling

mouse-wrestling* (ey:-? ?)

the blender general could be used for noob-q/a and everything else…speak compositing/sequencer

if you get rid of some forums…the overflow of posts will be to much…its allready to much for me…pff

so by deviding the topics as much as possible, everybody who wants to read or post in a certain topic does not have to go through a lot of spam before

i am a member of a forum that has 400 sections.

elysiun don’t have that many.

the only section i think could be gotten rid of here is the SMC section, that has never really been used, and it kinda compeats with my website (yeah out comes my secret motives LOL)

Alltaken

:o

What forum?

actually on counting the sites forums, it only has 76 forum sections now.

they had a huge crash due to their hosts being dumb, and changed software at the same time, so they lost 300+ forums.

the mods couldn’t be bothered putting them all back immediatly, but funnily the site title is still 400+ free forums.

and no i won’t tell you where it is, if you find it yourself then thats fine with me. :stuck_out_tongue:

they have cut it down a bit, but if anyone asks enough they will add a forum for you (if it was removed earlier)

they havea forum section for most countries, and NZ was in there.

the new forums only had the US, canada, europe… a few major ones. but the NZ crew just kept bothering the mods and they gave us back our forum.

but now we have all these australians in our forum too, coz they don’t even have one for themselves, so we hassle them about that.

so not 400 sections, but 76 or so. still rather a lot IMO, and ti takes a while to scroll.

Alltaken

Was it this forum?

most of these belong in off topic, sometimes people post their websites on finished projects

You know what? I hope Elysiun Never gets like that!

I like elysiun as it is, More active members would be cool thought? :wink:

hey whats wrong with THAT forum.

its rocking on.

Alltaken

I dident look at the catogorys , it is just so ‘big’ (you dident noticed? lol :slight_smile: )

Well now i looked at the catogorys, the forum is great, Thanks for finding it for me :smiley:

Since most of these threads you post asking questions of this nature have some reltivity I won’t bash you like I want to. But I will say that these are getting annoying, and that they are borderline troll bait.

There I said it.

Why not have post areas for Blender texturing, modelling, rendering etc?

It could be a good idea… but up untill now now blender general has done well too … I don’t know it it would make a big difference…

Since most of these threads you post asking questions of this nature have some reltivity I won’t bash you like I want to. But I will say that these are getting annoying, and that they are borderline troll bait.

There I said it.

Ditthead, you express a strong opinion … but you fail to be clear on your target, so I have to >assume< you mean the starter of the thread ? Also I fail to see what’s so annoying about this thread … It’s replies like these without any clear meaning wich are the real annoying ones…

Maybe there should be a bashing just for bashing section…

Did you mean me? Like md01 said, you’re being fairly vague. If you did mean me, I don’t understand when you say that most of the threads I post are along this nature. I don’t recall any of my posts being about the structure of the Elysiun forum.

If my posts in off-topic annoy you then just ignore them. I don’t think I’ve started many threads in off-topic anyway. Also, I don’t know what troll bait is. If you mean they are intended to piss people off, you are mistaken.

Ok, some of my posts may have been edgy but that’s usually when people show there true feelings about stuff. I just want to know how people feel, not upset them.

This thread was not a critique of Elysiun, I read a post somewhere about it getting a makeover and I wondered if people preferred forums with more topics or less topics, that’s all.

I echo md01:

Also I fail to see what’s so annoying about this thread … It’s replies like these without any clear meaning wich are the real annoying ones…