Does Blender export material settings in DXF or VRML formats

(sonix) #1

I’m trying to export various Blend scenes via Blenders save as VMRL 1 and DXF functions.

The VMRL seems to only export a large file with nothing in it, then when imported into another Application that app then crashes!!! :<

DXF seems to forget any parenting and Sub-division, and just creates one mesh, instead of seperate ones and with no material data.

Is there a preferred method of exporting, IE:

Do all objects need to be on the same Layer?
Do they need to be joined into one mesh?
Do I need to delete the camera and or lights?
Is there a way to keep Blender assigned Materials and textures in the export format?
Am I flogging a dead horse?

Help in any form will be greatly appriciated.

Sonix.

(Rhysy 2) #2

As far as I know you can’t export materials. Which is lousy. However I think there are ways of exporting textures but you’d have to search the forum for that.
I think that when you export a mesh in any format, Blender just exports the mesh data and ONLY the mesh data. Parenting and everything else is gone. If you have two unjoined pieces they will be exported as one mesh.

When you say DXF forgets subdivision, what exactly do you mean ? It shouldn’t forget subivided verticies but it might forget sub-surfs (not sure).
Don’t know about layering, but I know lamps/camera don’t matter, because they’re killed off with parenting and materials when you export.

Remember you can load these formats directly into Blender to check if they work…although as I recently found out, for large (high no. verticies) models the loading time can be really horrific, 1hr or more.
As for why the vrml crashes the program, I don’t know, but Crossroads seems to have a similar problem at random with ALL formats so it might be a problem with the other program and not Blender.

If you’re not flogging a dead horse, then it’s knocking on Death’s door I’m afraid !

(seval) #3

If you do use Blender to export models to another program, a couple tips for you. After subdividing the mesh, convert it using Alt-c . Then delete the subsurfed model. Also…if at all possible, join the meshes as much as you can. I just spent the other night modeling a kichen for a friend, saved as dxf…closed the program without saving the blend file. Not saving that file was a mistake. I opened the dxf in Rhino to render it, and I nearly SPIT !!! Hundreds of pieces misaligned…cabinet doors and fixtures so jumbled that they were barely recognisable. I always save and always join the meshes…but after hours of work one can be forgetful. The main reason I responded to this post was to tell you…do not let this happen to you. And if exporting to another renderer…it would all depend on the export script.

(ATMantis) #4

While we’re on the topic of exporting, does anyone know how I could get a model I’ve made in Blender into a viewpoint format?

(sonix) #5

You may know this, but Blender saves a back up file of your current .Blend in C:\Windows\Temp every 4 minutes by default.

Just use the open dialogue within Blender, use the Minus Key to select your C:\ drive if different to Blender’s instalation directory. Then open Windows directory then Temp dir. Use Blender’s sort by Time button (Little clock face at bottom of file open window.) This will put the most recent .Blend file at the top of the file view, (below any directories tho’.) open this and your work will be restored. Save this file AS, and carry on.

Hope this helps you, as you helped me.

Sonix.

(theeth) #6

Blender also save the scene as Quit.blend in that same directory.

Martin

(seval) #7

no…actually haad that disabled a long time ago in the user defaults.
Thanks for reminding me of that feature.