Does Blender Have a Scene Assembler like Maya's Scene Assembly, Houdini Solaris and Clarisse IFX?

Quite bold of you to post a “Reference” from 2012 with an ancient Maya version - is it a negative example?
:grin:
I have several axes to grind with Maya, the UI + low resolution gives me claustrophobia for example.
I watched 20 seconds and my brain recoiled in horror in face of this convoluted workflow…
Not that the current 2022 USD workflow is elegant in comparison …

From most of my past experience of the last several years very large and detailed scenes have normally been cached out in layers or sections in a format like Alembic for final render pass assembling. Having the whole raw scene assets assembled in one go for the biggest types of scene would fry the box in most cases. The animators and others working on the scenes in progress work on light weight optimised versions of the full scenes. Often there can be light weight versions of the character rigs fror optimal playback speed and certainly proxy geo for any complex sets or props. This is what is normally managed through a studio pipeline and assembling tool where everything is referenced in.

There is no special magic in Maya that I have seen that makes it especially more able to swallow and run massive complex rigs models and scenes over any of the other main 3D apps including Blender. Certainly not in real time and certainly not without considerable performance loss. I think it is a common misconception that these sorts of massive scenes are loaded up and worked on whole. It is about careful project and scene asset management more than anything. At least from what I have known and worked with in studio systems.

3 Likes

Maya’s Scene Assembly

Yes the old method still works, but now there are popular specialized scene assemblers like Solaris, Katana and Clarisse

1 Like

This is completely unrelated. The “Blender projects” is related to project structure and paths.

There are plans for “collection nodes” though that would read USD/Alembic/Blender scenes lazily from disk, but it’s pretty distant I reckon. It’s just been hinted at. Right now your best bet is to work with collection instances (for duplication) and collection linking (to keep animation files light). There is no direct equivalent of scene assembly software in Blender right now.

2 Likes