Does Blender have a "snapshot" of all geometry like 3dmax?

I see “visual geometry to mesh” but get everything falling appart and flying away

What does this do ?

1 Like

Same as if you export and then import back the whole scene at a certain frame . Only with original materials still on.

Deformed geo turns unique , non deformed stay linked

I see, you might want to try an alembic export with a frame range of 1, seems to fit your description

3dsmax snapshot create a static copy of the object in current time.

Try… shift D to duplicate your object and Menu->Object->Convert->Mesh

if you using constraints (like path constraint) try Menu->Object->Apply->Visual Transform … and after… apply your constraint.

same as “visual geometry to mesh” . everything fly away and falling apart contrary to alembic or fbx .

Alembic kill object data links on everything. And both of them replace materials

what your animation type? morph? constraint? armature/bones? transform only? modifiers?

Yes. I use lots of constrains . Is it possible to apply evrythig at once?

ps. It’s not even animation. Just a huge fence model with a lot of wires details rigged and constrained.

So it’s rather posed for a single frame . I want to turn it into a static mesh

you say apply visual transform and apply constraint at once? or apply various constraints at once?

for both cases I think you need a little python script to automate this…

Yeah, various constarins and deformars. I also use instances sitting on polygon planes and would like to keep them linked while all the defromed mesh would turns just static

if you send a sample file I can try help you.

Already you tried Object->Animation->Bake Action ??

Maybe this is a case of XY problem. What exactly are you trying to do ? Why do you want a static mesh to begin with ?

for constraint you have another option to keep transformation… clicking X button aside influence slide, this button disable the constraint keeping obj transformation’s, then you can delete constraint.

1 Like

I am modelling a long complex fence for a huge scene. It includes a complcated parts with lots of wires where I use constrains and curve deformers to sit details on wires . Sometimes bones with IK , No physics although. All that just to model complex parts.

Can’t share the scene, sorry . Need a special permission for that.

Then I want to turn those parts to static meshes with instances parented on and put this on curve deform “rails” to move around the scene where each part is necessary .
To have those parts on “ralils” as they are I would have to do lots of extra work , another layer of parenting and constrains. So I want to do that in another scene with just “snapshots” of initial already complex models.

Looks like fbx export and back import is only solution.

Thanks wilBr. didn’t know that. I just hoped there is a single button or certain few steps to do it once and for all . Like what fbx export is doing ( most of a time)

Thanks for explaining ! I feel like I’m saying that a lot recently, but : this is basically what geometry nodes was built for. If all the parts you need to instance sit in one collection, you can instance this collection along a curve (or on a surface…) very easily. Sometimes when we come from another software we make assumptions about how things work elsewhere. Here I think you may not need to freeze or snapshot anything.

The “rails” I want to place those parts alone is not straight. it deforms unique parts like rope meshes , fence net meshes. Those using tileable texture using array modifier + UV shift to kill UV seams and I spawn posts and other repeating details on a small, also deformed by a the same curve, square planes.

Is it really possible through geonodes? Can you make a quick example please with some a few plane and boxes?
So far I see a way how to place “collections” to sit on points alone a curve but couldn’t figure out how to recreate regular array modifier. The one deforming an object and doing UV shifts?

Is there a node that allows to move a single point along a curve ?

Let’s see. I’m not sure what you are doing with UVs exactly but UVs are an attribute in geonodes, which you can manipulate like any other through math nodes, ramps, curves, and so on. So I would expect anything to be possible but I’m not familiar enough with your method to tell you how exactly.

Any chance you can share a non-revealing capture of your setup so I can tell you with certainty it’s reproducible within geonodes ?

Yes, those things are straightforward. Basically to create an array you have to create points, using either a grid, a curve or a line (any geometry will do), and then you go and instance your collection on those points.

There is a node called sample curve which gives you a position and rotation at a given point on a curve. You can pipe this information into a transform node for a geometry of your choice.

If you tell me a little bit more about your needs (especially the UV part) I will gladly glue up a example blend for you. I am investigating geonodes a lot these days for my own needs, so it’s good practice even for my own sake

Cheers,

Hadrien