Does Blender make Python scripts for its logic bricks?

Well, one argument is that it is simplier to learn/discover a visual language. Take this thread, despite having a visual programming language, it is almost exactly a 1 to 1 match with regular textual programming. The only difference here is that because you code in blocks, everything is statically known: you just scroll through the menus looking for the bloc you want, and drag it.

Its like documentation navigation right inside the development tool.

In Blender this doesn’t work very well because:

1. Python is dynamically typed and it is hard to statically infer things
  2. Blender text editor is really dumb, despite all the efforts that went into it

So in my opinion what scares people is the “writing code out of thin air” part that is scary, as the builtin tools in Blender for Python are not really helping you discovering the language/API.

This is one of the reasons I love working with TypeScript for instance, because the tools are able to provide a lot of information right inside the IDE, almost never need to go see the documentation, and the type checking catches most basic mistakes.

Again, with the way Python has to be written in Blender, this is not the case. You are left alone writing what might or might not work… Not ideal.

But then as @stephen and others mentioned, there is only advantages to using Python, the only downside maybe is the learning curve, which is steep because of the poor tooling/assistance.

I think @UnidayStudio is working on an addon for UPBGE which would bring console errors somewhere in your UI, so it would be easier to access and better looking. That’s super cool :slight_smile: