Does having a lot of scenes slow a game down?

As I continue modelling my grandmother’s house as modelling practice for a game I’m planning, it becomes more and more apparent that a big scene = a slow game. So I’m reminded of Super Mario 64, the inside of the castle is made up of several different maps and the outside is one of its own too.
So I want to split the three floors into different scenes. I know that increases the size of the game, but it will slow down my game by having several different scenes or just increase the size?

As far as I know, it will just increase the filesize. I have a game with well over 100 scenes and the game hasn’t lost any frames as a result.

You could try splitting each room in the house into many different objects and temporarily removing/hiding the ones you can’t see from your current position.

Could you explain what you mean by that?

He means using dynamic loading, it can be done in python with the libload function or it can be done with logic bricks, to an extent. If the objects are near, make them visible. If the objects are far/behind a wall, make them invisible. Search the forum for libload and dynamic loading :slight_smile: I can’t link as I’m on my phone. Hope I helped.

I believe that Libload is more-so used for dynamically loading objects in that can’t be placed before the game, like an open-world game would have (the buildings, for example, would be LibLoad-ed in, though I’m not sure of the exact benefits of doing so over simply placing them or adding them in-game through an actuator or addObject() function call). For your purposes, placing the different sections in the same scene and hiding / revealing them should work.

You know, on one of my earlier projects, I would have a different scene for each room of the game, essentially. The way I’m doing it now in my current project, though, is to put every section of the game (so far) in the same scene, and just space them out. For example, the ‘Park’ map and the ‘Plaza’ map are really in the same scene, but probably around 40 Blender Units away from each other. Since they’re so far away from the camera, frustum culling automatically hides them when necessary, and they show up when necessary as well. The camera’s always top-down in this example, though, so that probably wouldn’t work for 3D games, like Super Mario 64. In this case, you might want to try hiding and showing the maps.

One thing that you would need to be aware of is that putting enemies or other such calculating objects in the same scene would slow the game down, as they would always be executing their script (of course, you can optimize the script by turning down the frequency of the objects’ calculations unless you’re in the same area as them, for example).

Does having a lot of scenes slow a game down?

Yes and no

Yes: parallel running scenes (overlay and background scenes).

No: sequential executed scenes (set scene).