does processor speed affect speed of Blender??

(fjdavid) #1

I just upgraded from an intel 233 mhz to a 1.1 gig Duron, 256 meg ram with a GeForce 4mx 64 meg video card, but Blender doesn’t seem to move any quicker. It loads files quicker, but when I click or move or spin an object it still seems to be jerky. Is there anything I’m missing that I can set to improve Blender? Everything is loaded at their default locations and I’m using Windows 98.

(theeth) #2

The interface of Blender is all open GL, so it’s probably linked to a graphic card problem. Since it’s a new comp, did you updated the drivers on your 3D card yet? Sometimes, older drivers may work better, but not always.

Martin

(fjdavid) #3

Well, I tried what you said and reduced the video card to no hardware acceleration. That dramatically improved the response of the openGL.

Thanks.

(Dittohead) #4

Download the latest drivers from nvidia or your card manufacturer.

If you used the driver(s) that came with windows it’ll do that.

(jluros) #5

I noticed this also. I have an Athlon Thunderbird 1.4/266 with 512MB of RAM and a RADEON AIW 32DDR. I’m not bragging or anything, but shouldn’t this system by faster with the hardware acceleration cranked up? Something deeper is at play. I haven’t yet tested if this happens also in Linux, but I imagine it wouldn’t.

I also remember Blender being much snappier on my win2k laptop that only had 8MB of VRAM, but that was also an older version of blender and a different chipset, so there are too many variables to point the finger in one direction…interesting…

(IOR) #6

strange…and interesting at the same time…have to try and install blender at work tomorrow, im running a slow celeron 400mhz with only 64 mb mem and an firegl1000 at home…it runs slow but i try to force myself into using it so someday ill be able to do the same stuff that i do with max now…well its only an amd 1000 with a geforce 2 but i hope it will run faster that it is right now…maybe its the version…i remember milkshape had that problem with some later versions…didnt work well at all…then there is the issue of opengl and the geforce…it doesnt always work i have noticed…well anyway i could go on for hours…better quit while im ahead! =)

(harkyman) #7

I’m running an AthlonXP1800 w/GF4MX, 256DDr, Win2000. I haven’t generated enough polygons yet to drop the Blender interface below realtime. I’m using the lastest driver pack directly from nvidia. One thing to check – you don’t happen to have your video card’s antialiasing on, do you? That can really slow Blender down. The system you described should tool along quite nicely.

In regards to Blender…
Video Board: speed of interface and geometry display
CPU: does all rendering; calculates IK chains/armature contraints; calculates ipo effects and deformations

(d52477001) #8

I used to have a problem that blender became really slow after some time of usage. I then added 256Mb of ram and it’s fine now…

(RipSting) #9

you don’t happen to have your video card’s antialiasing on, do you?

AA is most likely not on- you’d definitly notice if it was. With AA turned on, the whole interface of Blender blurs 1 more pixel everytime the mouse is moved.

I’m using an GeForce2 MX at work and it seems to go fairly fast. Also, in Win2K if I’m running Blender in Win98 compatability mode, I generally get a few MORE FPS! You may try un-installing your video drivers, restart, and re-install. Go to www.nvidia.com to download the latest Detonator drivers.

Good luck![/quote]