Does tri to quads actually work?

I booleand some cubes together then tri to quads but Im pretty sure I still got tris.

I booleand some cubes together then tri to quads but Im pretty sure I still got tris.
You will. It does an imperfect job. For example the face you have selected cannot be converted to a quad because there is no adjacent tri to merge it with. Likewise for the other triangles in your mesh.

I see okay thanks.

Yes, tris to quad only convert 2 adjacent triangle into quads , it’s not able to auto-retopologize a whole model into quads.

If you don’t want to retopo manually, the only thing in Blender close to some kind of “quadifier” is the remesh modifier, but to obtain good results if you have a big mesh you need to increase its Octree a lot, resulting in much (and often a lot much) higher poly than you would desire.
by example :

With a remesh modifier at octo tree 4 (lower and the mesh is not having the correct shape) and Sharp setting (due to the model being angular, the Smooth setting is for organic ones)

Its already 882 faces, while the original was 58 only.
And still it’s not good, as in the bottom right of the model you can see a pointy thing that is separate from the geometry it is a part of in the original model, only at Octree 6 it would end into the right shape.
But then it would be from the original 58 faces upping the facecount to more than 13000 !

Yes I was able to get it to work with the remesh, thanks.