Does Your Cpu Lag With Subdivision Modifier and Lineart?

@SterlingRoth That’s a good point. Let me think about that…

So at subdivision level 3, it lags too much.
But turns out: at level 2, it’s not that bad. (Still lags tho). Yeah maybe I don’t need a super duper cpu after all… lol
I’m posing the rig and editing the mesh while lineart is on.
I’m not trying to play back animation while lineart’s on, tho, at least not right now.

Now, 12fps playback or more with lineart would be even better. I wasn’t even expecting that to happen. I’ll see what I need once I start animating.

How can I optimize lineart performance? I can’t find any tutorials.
I tried triangulating my mesh. Didn’t really improve anything. Maybe that’s because I have subdiv modifier on, but using subdiv is much easier for me than making a high-poly rig-friendly topology mesh without subdiv (I’d have to find a tutorial first. Not really that many on youtube iirc).
I’ve been using version 3.3 Lts, which I heard has improved lineart performance.

1 Like

Use as few lines as possible- the more edge types you turn off, the faster it will be

The performance isn’t a total show stopper, so I would focus on optimizing your workflow. Keep the subdivisions in viewport low enough that it doesn’t tank performance, then crank that up as high as it needs to be for your final render.

You can move your lineart object to its own collection, then disable the collection when you don’t need to see the lines. if you just hide the lineart object, it will still calculate and slow down your scene.

The lineart is a finishing effect, so it doesn’t need to be bogging down your performance all the time.

1 Like

Seconded - this is probably the best optimization option. Then you don’t even need a new CPU :slight_smile:

lol I need all the edge types that are already on. If I turn any off while working on my project, or disable lineart altogether, yes it’ll perform better.

But I’m in the process of: how do I make my character look the way I want them to? i.e. character design?
So I have to turn off lineart, edit or pose my mesh, and turn lineart on to see if what I did had the desired effect, then turn off lineart again, pose my mesh some more, turn it back on and see if it had the desired effect, and repeat.
Or just use level 2 subdiv with a bit of lag. Again, maybe level 2 isn’t as bad as I thought.
Edit: Having lineart on is important so that I can see if any weird jarring lines appear from deforming the mesh.

Like, yeah, it’s doable. So I’ll just have to do that for now.
But if there’s other ways to improve performance, then plz let me know!

p.s. I use viewport render, because it’s faster afaik. So I have to manually turn subdiv up before “rendering”, which I sometimes forget.

@SterlingRoth @joseph P.s. thanks for your replies! Now I know that buying a high end cpu will improve line art performance. Before, I wasn’t even sure if such an upgrade would even improve things significantly.

2 Likes

If you are just doing character look development, then limping it along with the lineart on is reasonable. Once you get it looking the way want, then you can turn it off for the bulk of your animation. once your animation is blocked out, then you can re-enable lineart to check for issues and fix those.

There’s no real magic bullet here, unfortunately. It’s way faster than freestyle though, so you’ve got that going for you!

2 Likes

Alright fair enough. Thanks!