DOF Blender 2.65

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with the camera’s depth of field in 2.65?

I have tried manually adjusting where the camera is suppose to focus on and adjusting fstop (in 3D view), as well as choosing the object to focus on, as well as adjusting fstop there. I even tried with the nodes in combination of above using defocus and using the cameras z values. However I am not getting any DOF with them. With just doing everything in 3D view nothing is blurred. When using the nodes, everything gets blurry.

Any suggestions?

DETAILS:
I was doing a simple logo scene with particles, the closest I could get is putting the particles on a different layer and using the defocus nodes on that layer so only the particles were getting blurred, however it is not exactly what I wanted to do, it just blurs everything with out any meaning. Meaning it looks like all the particles is in the background, when in reality the scene is setup with particles in the focus range I wanted, as well background and foreground.

Attachments

Just in case, here is the node setup for the render above. Total setup is 2 scenes, 3 layers in total. In 3D mode, the camera is foucsed in on the text with a fstop value set to .05. Everything else you can see in the nodes. As stated above, I had played and played with the values over and over again, taking a different approach to the DOF, and this is the best I could get it at, any help would be very appreciated. About to start a new scene soon, and I will need my DOF working.

Oh before I forget, in the current setup I played with the 3D view camera’s fstop. As well as in the nodes I played with the Defocus Nodes: fstop, threshold, and maxblur.

SORRY JUST NOTICED THAT I UPLOADED THE SAME IMAGE TWICE, MISSING THE DEFOCUS NODE. HERE IS THE ADDITIONAL IMAGE:

Attachments

Oh wow, I feel stupid, I forgot to turn the Zbuffer on.

So I put the particles back on the same scene as the text. However it still looks like all the particles are in the back ground.