Domain blocks glossy?

Hi

Im working on a fire tutorial…and got it running up nicely - but Im trying to get a fake room that reflects the fire coloration from the walls and hopefully lights up the surrounding items as well…

currently I built a room and turned up the reflectivity of the walls and adjusted the gloss to give back some of the fire particles… but apparently the particle/smoke domain seems to not like the glossy on the walls… I turned on ACCEPT transparency to the wall materials…but now the gloss is blocked.

Any ideas?

ah shite… as usual - the moment you post… you figure it out on your own!

The domain was cut off on bottom by the walls… thereby screwing up the layering between them and losing the gloss layer.

I simply moved up the Domain until it was not touching the walls… doh. sorry.

But I do still have a question… what do people here think is the best way to get the walls to accept the color from the flame?

Reflectivity on the walls? or some other composite / render tricks?

heres the walls with NO reflectivity… much quicker to render… but I want the red to emit to the walls… thoughts?

This can only be done with glossy i think!

Which effect are you looking for? The flame coloring it’s surroundings through lighting or just reflectivity? Or is it just reflectivity but you want to speed up the render?

Hi!

Im trying to get the flames coloring properly on the wall… I was hoping that since the particles / voxels are using ‘emission’ - that they just produced light outbound from the material… but when I render I see thats not true - unless I used reflectivity… the problem I have with reflectivity / gloss is the rendering does not seem correct when i do it…

I made sure the walls don’t touch the bounding “Domain” box area… so theres nothing intersecting with the voxel domain…but it keeps looking like the gloss and the domain are interacting funny…

take a look at this snapshot:

If you look carefully… the bottom and the far wall have some strange darker zones that appears to show the edges of the voxel domain as if there are some composite errors…the walls don’t appear properly smooth in their lighting fall off… at first it was the intersection of the domain to the wall that caused a problem… but when I scaled this properly and moved all connection so there was no intersection - it still did not come out as I expected…

Guys

thanks for replying… I think perhaps I was making mistakes because I do not fully understand the reflectivity settings yet and the gloss interaction…

I finally dialed down the reflections depth to 0 - and had the gloss toned down a bit to get something that is matching up to my expectations of what its supposed to do…

but the look is still not what I was hoping for… I get the reflections… but in more realistic fire simulation ( and from the tutorials that I see! ) - the walls would be getting more red ambient lighting from the fire… something I would expect to see of an object that is ‘emitting’ light all around…

I removed all light instances and I tried to make as simple of a scene as possible…

Im uploading it here - perhaps someone can help me get to the next step…I want the walls to get more red as if the fire was actually emitting light to the walls… not just reflecting an exact or near exact image with blurry gloss… thats not the material property I was hoping for… I was hoping for matte colored wall ( as if painted by simple paint ) that gives back a red flat ambient glow from the fire…

?

thanks for all help and responses…its very appreciated.

Fire_Test_01.blend (786 KB)