Domain cube is opaque? Camera can't see through it.

Hello Blender artists,

Please see the attached blend file of a very simple cubic domain for a fluid inflow experiment. The domain cube contains a flattened cube for an obstacle, and a third, smaller cube is the inflow object.

My question is, how do I get the camera to see through the domain cube? When I render a frame, I just see the black wall of the domain cube. Do I need to apply a transparent texture to it? What’s strange is, I made 2 liquid experiments before, and didn’t have that problem. I have no idea what I had done right.

Thank you all, for the good answers I have gotten here!

Cheers,

Clinton Crowley
Fort Worth, Texas

Attachments

liquid test 3.blend (135 KB)

Weird… It worked just as it should for me. After I baked the fluidsim it rendered only the fluid and obstacle:


Thank you for looking at my attempted liquid simulation. I found that I can go into the domain cube and see the contents. That is, the opaque domain cube is hollow, and I can see the contents, as if it were a cardboard box.

Here’s a slightly more complex attempt. My goal is to have liquid fill up the landscape, forming islands and so on. Here’s where I am confused: I have one small red cube selected as “inflow.” I changed the inflow velocities to single-digit positive values. Baked and animated, nothing happened.

I started thinking that maybe I’m supposed to have another cube selected as “fluid” so that’s why the second cube is there. The tutorials are vague on this point. Hmm, I must be missing something obvious. At your convenience, please have a look at this 1.7 MB blend. Sorry to use Rapidshare, I know a lot of people don’t like it. But it’s too big to upload here.

http://rapidshare.com/files/264175656/liquid_test_4.blend.html

Clinton Crowley
Fort Worth, Texas

P.S. Answers in Espanol, Deutsch, Russki, Francaise, Nihongo are OK–I can’t speak the languages, but I don’t mind stumbling through conversations using Google language tools. :eek:

liquid_test_4.blend (507 KB)

This should be a better starting point. Read up in the wiki about fluids. Your settings for the domain were not the best. You need a realistic real-world size (10m is the max) and simulation time. Also Ctrl+A all your objects so their scale is 1.

Also under the file menu, select compress file to reduce your file size.

Richard