Don't be a sucker like me

(DAK) #1

:x

I bought a DayTek 75A monitor. Thought I had a deal as it was 2 inches bigger than my old one. Then I find out it’s harder to read on, (blurry) compared to my original. But to make things even worse, even when on full contrast + brightness, the white looks more like grey and things look just too dark and I dont know if it is even possible to change this through the OS? I’ve tested this on both linux and windows.

Dont be a sucker, dont buy a DayTek! :x

(Zsolt) #2

Thanks for the tip! I remember when I bought a monitor a few years ago, it had the same, or similar problem. It was hard to read as there wasn’t enough contrast between black and white, black looked sort of grey. And all thin lines, like letters in a text, were blurry. I can’t remember what monitor it was though, as I returned it in a few days, and exchanged it for a ViewSonic that I still use today.

You should return it as soon as possible and try to get a refund, or replace it with another monitor.

Zsolt

(DAK) #3

I will try to do so. For a while I thought it was just a windows problem. Possibly it could be due to the graphics card? I will change cards and see.
This is rediculous, as I cant even calibrate my monitor propery. And my dark renders here, are blinding white on everyone elses screen.

If I trade it in, I certainly wont be getting another DayTek!!

(Dittohead) #4

Don’t go with a brand you’ve never heard of.

And make sure the dot pitch is LESS than .28 mm.

(phlo) #5

perhaps there no problem with your monitor.
first turn down the contrast to about 80% it’s better for a monitor.

i recently saw a tool to calibrate a monitor on windows. and i was surprised
how good this works. (forgot the tool) will post that later.

blurry: the higher you set the refresh frequency the blurrier the picture
gets. try with 75 or 85 Hz. some people don’t see the diffrence.

i had the same problem. and after setting my monitor to 1024x768 and 85 Hz. the picture was clear… and bigger than on my old monitor.

florian

(Dittohead) #6

Viewsonic, Optiquest, Phillips, are all great brands as far as i have used.

(Anton-Mouse) #7

Try this, i use it quite a lot for exotic cards and fixed frequency Monitors
its got loads of options
including sophisticated color correction tools

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm

Have a good one

(hermy) #8

isnt there a tool for linux to calibrate a monitor??

or perhaps an image mozaik, like those test channels on television ???

i’m looking for it quit a while now

(stukkm) #9

when you remember what the tool was could you please send me an email? my monitor is way to dark… i was looking at garbager’s buildings on a different monitor and that’s when i first realized it had sides!
so here’s my email if it isn’t too much trouble:
[email protected]

(Anton-Mouse) #10

found this for linux :

test picture (windows only )

http://www.jumbo.com/jg/dt/1.html

hope this helps !

(JDA) #11

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#Gammabox

(darkbyrd) #12

standard for imaging services is contraast at 100%, brightness at about 50%, color at 6500. GEt an aperture grill monitor, they are sharper by far. trinitrons are a good example of that. I have one of each here, side by side, and you can really see the difference.

(DAK) #13

Thanks for the posts guys, I did more reading on calibration and I am definitely sure now that my monitor is in err, as I have changed very possible settting to no avail.

darkbyrd: Where did you get your values from? Are these your personal suggestions? After what I have read the last few hours it becomes aparent that I’ve ben instructed NOT to do as you have suggested.

In any case, I know now why my text is blurry. It is becasue I have contrast on Full (which you suggest). Lower contrast makes things more clear. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to have contrast on full as my screens are too dark any other way.

Brightness should only be as high as to allow you to see black as pure black. Also, contrast should only be as high as to get white to look white, once brightness has been adjusted.

(darkbyrd) #14

DAK: I work in the prepress industry, I do photoshop work for a well known fashion photographer in kansas city, as well as freelance work and other side projects. The reccomendations I gave you are what a professional would have his monitor set atyou guys, of course, may have different prefrences, but those settings, along with a properly calibraated monitor and profile, will give you the best color rendition and detail.

Like I saids, this is what the “pros” use, that may or may not be what you want

(darkbyrd) #15

Only because the monitor sucks in the first place :). a good monitor would not have that problem

(IMProvisar) #16

You know… I got a vid card a few years ago (from CreativeLabs… and I’ll never buy anything but sound cards from them again). One nice thing it came with was a color adjuster. It talked about setting contrast and brightness, then had a static film you put up on the monitor while the calibrator was running. Essentially, you adjusted the settings on the software so the color/brightness etc matched the static film. After calibration, everything sent from the graphics card was “corrected” for your monitor.

Anyone else seen these tools with graphics cards, or without? Any idea on accuracy?

Imp

(IMProvisar) #17

BTW… I’m using a pair of old Gateway EV700 monitors made a coulple months apart (6 years ago). One on my XP box, one on my Linux box. Still work good… but starting to show their age… one of them tends to flicker spontaneously every few hours… almost like a change of resolution… but not quite as dramatic. Keep thinking it’s gonna blink out… but it’s been doing that for at least 2 years now. Any idea who made these for Gateway? The systems were bought at a time when I had no money, and dad had a fondness for gateway (which he has lost after buying a $5k GW Solo laptop). Other than monitors, KB’s, and one case, I think there’s nothing left from those two systems, hehe… I vowed never to buy “a computer” again… just haven’t really had the money to spare for a really good monitor or two. :frowning:

Imp

(IMProvisar) #18

Oh, and since I mentioned it… any good laptop recommendations? Preferably a company that doesn’t load a lot of BS into the system (like this funky wierd GW clickable watermark on the desktop we never got rid of on dad’s Gateway Solo… until FDisk :).

One of the two big things I don’t like about buying “a computer”… they load it down with software and links and demos I don’t want (get enough from Windows… like always wanting you to log into MSN messenger… got rid of that one!). And second… adding graphics and sound on the mobo… makes it much more of a pain for patchwork upgrading.

And don’t get Tiger Systemax systems either… the ones they run infomercials for… my sister doesn’t let me near her stuff often, but her Systemax computer doesn’t perform NEAR what the hardware should be able to do… I think it was an Athlon +1ghz, with decent trimmings, and barely paced my PC when it was still a Celeron400… only noticeable difference was she could play DVD’s, and I didn’t have a DVD-ROM. Ticked her off though when I downloaded and watched <an_unnamed_movie>, showing her she didn’t quite have something that I didn’t. (And for the copyright/p2p discussion in the off-topic forum, it was an experiment to see what was available, and I have the DVD, lol).

Imp

(pofo) #19

Haha!
This thread made me look more closely at my monitor (never really cared before since it’s worked perfectly for the two or three years I’ve had it) and discovered that it had an integrated USB hub. :smiley:

1. pofo

(rndrdbrian) #20

But don’t trinitron monitors have a thin wire going across the screen vertically, about 2 thirds of the way down the screen? My trinitron telly (10 year old?) has this, and it can be distracting at times.

Brian