Originally, I got interested in MakeHuman because I wanted to use it for my own projects, and finally I have gotten to the point where I can do something semi-serious. Making this animation also led to some feedback to the mocap and lipsync tools; e.g., they now work with linked assets.
There are a number of issues with this animation, but after working on it for 15 days I grew tired of it. Here are the main problems which I may fix. Or maybe look out for in the next project.
Fix: Make the Leg IK F-curves flat for the duration of a planted foot. In some shot the FK rig is used for the legs, which is not good if you can see the feet.
Characters float in free air.
Cause: The scenes are rendered in passes, with the characters composited on top of the background.
Fix: Introduce an invisible floor that can receive shadows, and which is rendered with the characters. Also make sure that the feet always rest on the floor when they should.
Sudden jumps in some animations
Cause: Discontinuities when two actions are combined in the NLA editor. Especially serious if the character’s global orientation differs between actions.
Fix: Not so obvious. Perhaps write a script which rotates the bones with location F-curves (root, ik effectors).
Cause: Mocap data is noisy.
Fix: The mocap tool comes with a simple filter, which could be cranked up. However, interesting information is lost if the settings are too high. Better filtering algorithms probably exist.