Don't know if I can keep using blender [edit] ok, I can

Hey Everyone,

Sorry to say it - especially as I’ve just really got the hang of the materials system - but I don’t know if I can keep using blender.

It’s not a technical thing, it’s a moral thing.

Words just can’t describe how disgusted and embarrassed I am by the obscenely offensive way which a portion of this community (including a number of moderators) have tried to crucify respower in the recent weeks.

You guys (the anal ones who did the roasting) took a small thing which most people couldn’t give a rats ass about, and you blew it up into hysterical witch hunt about the evils of capatialism and blah blah ble blah blah blah.

It reminded me of the taliban who cut someones hands off for stealing a loaf of bread. You should be ashamed of yourselves, but I’ve known enough jerks in my life to know that you won’t. If anything there’ll just be another string of posts obssessing meaninglessly about the evils of employees saying good things about their company.

If I was respower, I’d ditch support for blender, how embarressing that our communities response to their offer of thousands of dollars of rendering for 20 dollars a month was to vomit vicious vile hatred back all over them.

I mean, think about it, if a car company made $50,000 cars available to the blender community for $500 then had one of it’s employees anonymously post to the announcement saying “this is a great car” would you say thank you for the insanely cheap car, or would you say scam scam scam you posted illegally!!!

You idiots.

[EDIT]
apologies to everyone who thought I meant this idiots comment for everyone (I can see thats what it looks like now) It was never my intent to accuse everyone of being an idiot, just the ones I was annoyed with. But in my rush to shoot my mouth off, I said it all wrong. In hindsight, I wish I hadn’t accused anyone of being an idiot (even the ones I was annoyed with - although I still think they were way out of line).
[/EDIT]

You hypocrite.

How often are you going to see people praised for telling of something, then going under another pseudonym to promote it?

Words just can’t describe how disgusted and embarrassed I am by the obscenely offensive way which a portion of this community (including a number of moderators) have tried to crucify respower in the recent weeks.

Words can’t describe how disgusted I am with the way you ended your post.

You should be ashamed of yourselves

As should you. Calling an entire forum of people idiots isn’t the nicest thing imaginable.

If I was respower, I’d ditch support for blender

Mmm, but you’re not.

…but I don’t know if I can keep using blender.

Sorry to lose you? Maybe? Or good riddance?

what?

can someone summerize what he(?) said? its too long.

Wow, you stop using it because of a problem with the community that doesn’t concern you. From what I saw they were deceitfully promoting a business.

Quit bitching and leave if you have too. Just don’t try to guilt anyone on your way out.

Just a little clarity without getting right into it.

First of all, I don’t think all elysiun users are idiots, sorry I worded that bit carelessly.

Believe it or not, I don’t even care about respower. And I’ve never disputed that they used a crappy way to try and promote their launch of it.

All I care about is that now there is a way where I can render an animation in a day instead of a month, and it will only cost me 20$ a month.

And if you guys who are giving them a hard time don’t quit all your high and mighty whining about the ethics of anonymous posting, they’re going to go away and I’m going to have to wait a whole damn month everytime I want render an animation again.

There, that’s the guts of it. Maybe I was being a hypocrite before by not saying it that plainly, but there it is.

Isn’t the saying, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth?

whats respower?

Hmmm I saw three posters who I felt were strongly offensive - all of them as far as I can tell were extremely youngish. They were also rebuffed for their statements. Of course I didn’t look at titles so maybe one of them was a moderator.

If I was respower, I’d ditch support for blender, how embarressing that our communities response to their offer of thousands of dollars of rendering for 20 dollars a month was to vomit vicious vile hatred back all over them.

It wasn’t ‘The community’ some individuals reacted rudely, while others did not. Some of us rebuked those behaving rudely. I’m not sure what else you think should have been done. As far as I can tell it was three rude individuals and about 10-15 gracious individuals and others that gave ‘mixed responses’. While I’d rather the rude individuals hadn’t posted, generally only those who feel strongly about a subject are going to respond. Also we tend to have young male teens which tend to engage in flaming behavior rather agressively.

LetterRip

Hi Letterip,

Thanks and sorry, I guess I need to apologize for getting a bit carried away too. Letting loose with the chainsaw is obviously not going to improve the temperature of the topic… Apologies too for blindly assuming the three people were the entire elysiun community… that was really stupid blush

As an excuse (it’s not a good one, but it sounds like it is) I went to the cricket on sunday and had to sit in front of a row of obnoxious drunken jerks who were throwing beer over everyone. To make it worse, we (australia) lost as well. So I had all this anti jerk testosterone built up with nowhere to unleash it (my wife wouldn’t let me go after them).

Must… relax… unwind…

Must… relax… unwind…

Good idea, Blender and Elysiun are two different animals. Make sure you don’t shoot the wrong one!

%<

YEAH! You better come to #blenderchat to know the TRUTH of blenderheads… it is the cradle of the innermost blender secrets…

bwahaahahahahahahahahhahah! :Z Zorro be good.

Would these jerks happen to be NQE1 and Bigbad

To be honest, I had no idea any of this was going on till I read this thread.

After going back and reading all that was said, I have to agree that some of the responses were heavy handed to say the least, especially the particularly disgraceful parting shot from dittohead as he locked the thread:

This is way over due for a lock. Be nice and pay for your advertising like google is above.

I’m not sure which is worse, that people have actually fallen for this very shallow publicity stunt and have continued to post in this thread or that someone actually tried it here. Sheesh.

And please earyle…don’t PM me with a bribe.

Nothing like ruthlessly ramming your boot down somebodys throat a second before you lock the thread, thereby making sure they have no way of defending themselves. That I classify as totally gutless…

And dittohead, I assume you have some sort of proof that this was a publicity stunt instead of a heartfelt appology, because I didn’t see any. We need even handed mods here, and that comment was as far from even handed as I can imagine. You’re basically calling the guy a liar for saying sorry.

Having made my share of mistakes when I joined the blender.nl forums (including dishonesty), Im glad to say that I never once got a reaction that bad from anyone…otherwise I’d probably have left the community with my tail between my legs a long time ago.

These boys tried to bring affordable rendering to the blender community, they made a mistake and they appologised for it. Now I don’t know about everyone else, but where I come from, if someone appologises wholeheartedly like earlye did, then we forgive and forget…

there’s my 0.00001 pence…

But back to the topic:

Cheers for the ‘idiot’ comment… I won’t forget that one, and Im sure the same applies to all the other people that have just stumbled over this thread only to be called idiots for something that they didn’t even know was happening.

So if you want to ditch blender because of this, be my guest, you were clearly not that commited in the first place.

Umm sorry, but i reckon a lot of the people who gave them crap are going to use their services in the future.

i certainly was offended at the marketing, but i am not an idiot, i can judge a service by its merits also.

you know that people can seperate things. i.e. people saying Microsoft has anti trust issues, can also think that WindowsXP is the best OS.

p.s. i suggest this one gets locked as well. its just another oppertunity to stop the topic from dying.

Alltaken

edit: oh, nothin to say now =P

ah,

I did indeed miss the last post about locking the thread, that was indeed pretty rude the way it was done.

LetterRip

Just a quick note to point out my retraction at the top of the thread

I did in fact accuse everyone on elysiun of being an idiot, but please please believe me when I say that is not what I meant to say. I was just so high up on my horsie that I didn’t notice I’d blanket bombed everyone when all I meant to do was have a go at a couple of people who I thought had been pretty unreasonable.

For what its worth (even though this sounds like a suck up) I think elysiun rocks. Everything I know about blender I learned through elysiun.

no, dont.

stay faaarrrr away from #blenderchat.

Woah - calm down - relax. I’ve got skin like a duck’s back - yes, the “crucifixion” was and is painful, but then we deserved it.

However, I aint goin’ anywhere just because my feelings are hurt. Have a little more faith!

Now I will grant that I’m not providing this service for charity - if it doesn’t make some money we may have to drop it. That isn’t a “sign-up-or-we-kill-it” threat - it’s just simple economics. But we won’t make that determination for a very long time - it would be silly to put several months into this and then quit because we offended somebody and their response hurt.

As for locking this thread too… I’m rather exhausted from discussing this topic and would much rather be focusing on improving the product and helping people use it. Lock or no lock, I’m going to try my best to make this my last post on the topic.

Hey Early, is it possible for the Respower renderfarm to bake a fluid or softbody simulation? Or is it just pure rendering?
What are the gains in respect to AO, radiosity, scanline and raytracing?

Am I asking questions that are answered already on your website?
Am I beeing off topic in an “off topic” thread? Talking about paradoxes :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, I want to know this things, because escpacially fluid baking stuff makes it really worthwhile to subscribe to Respower.

I have been having a “Twilight Zone” feeling lately.

I hope you (and others) don’t mind, but I’ve answered your questions in a new thread, here:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59108

– Early Ehlinger, President, ResPower, Inc.