Don't know what this is yet...

Newsflash: Artistic inspiration struck a Sterling Heights CG artist when he was looking at the rinds of a melon he was eating; strange results ensued.

When asked what it was, he replied: ‘Dunno. Kind of a blasty gun thing I guess… We’ll see where it goes from here.’

Stay tuned for updates.

Looks like a classic mega-death-ray lol

I see potential skyrocketing :slight_smile:

Or a hot air balloon city

OMG! OMG! OMG! It’s the lost resno-effectuator from the Incredible Fosnik Effect Generator! :D:yes::smiley:

It’s cool!

Looks cool… wasn’t starting from a random object with no direction whatsoever how Crititrozoz started his flying car that ended up in the gallery?

Wow, never new you could be so good at 3D modelling that you just make it up as you go… Raises the frontier… LEVEL UP!! For sheer mind opening. sweet.

I’ve decided that this is going to be a giant, six-legged alien war walker. :smiley: The large hemispheres at the top are the ball joints for the legs.

I’m still deciding on the exact scale, but this thing is big - possibly godzilla size, maybe a bit smaller. Think of the omni-droid from The Incredibles for an idea of size.

@ Orinoco: I read through that thread and I have to admit that I still don’t have any idea what that thing is… Interesting though.

The ball joints looked like eyes to me when i first saw them… but gigantic walker sounds cool.

Looks like a walking cake decorator… I would suggest the join of the tubes to the sphere seeing a filet of some sort or another form of join…

Started a bridge window and added an entry hatch. The cube is for scale reference, it is roughly the size of a person.

Here is a closer shot of the entry hatch.

I’ll see what I can do about those joins, 4TM. Right now I’m trying to figure out what other details to add to the top hemi/bridge portion. :slight_smile: Little greebles and stuff are important to give a sense of scale, but I want the design to remain fairly simple and uncluttered.

this is pretty cool, but at that scale what is the bottom part?
the hatch is pretty cool, mind telling how you attached/made the hinge part from the door?

Might be worth considering sketching out the rest on paper.
As this could be really cool little project, but if you have no direction and just start plonking weird shapes into it, well… it could look like an amateur made it. And I know you aren’t one. :slight_smile:

It’s looking okay at the moment, but if you fail to plan you plan to fail.

The hinge isn’t attached at all, it just sticks into the door. Things don’t always have to be a continuous mesh. :slight_smile: If I did want them to be though, I could probably do a boolean union and clean up the geometry by hand.

…at that scale what is the bottom part?
I don’t understand your question. What do you mean?

Tell that to Crititrozoz. The spontaneity of this is what makes it so creative and unique and fun. I still have to make good design choices mind you, I’m not just firing a creative shotgun and putting on anything that pops into my head. Well, perhaps I am, but if it doesn’t look good it gets cut and you never end up seeing it at all.

“Spontaneity is the quality of being able to do something just because you feel like it at the moment, of trusting your instincts, of taking yourself by surprise and snatching from the clutches of your well-organized routine…"

Not much progress to show, but I think that will change soon.

The top dome is still rather bare and featureless, so I think I am going to add some light AA guns to it. Basically the way this thing works is this:

It’s primary weapons are the ring of 6 guns at the bottom. These are mid power guns that have a ROF of about 1 shot per second. They fire between the legs to neutralize most ground threats.

The gun on the very bottom is the powerhouse weapon and can completely clear the ground beneath the walker, but it has a very low ROF. There is an approximately 5 second period of time for the weapon to charge, followed by a plasma stream discharge also lasting about 5 seconds. The spike at the tip of the gun serves as an attractor to combine and focus the 5 plasma streams into one powerful vortex stream. The 6 primary guns cannot operate while this gun is charging/firing because of power requirements.

The dome will have numerous low powered Anti-Aircraft guns that serve mainly as defensive weapons. These will have a very high ROF.

You gonna do a render of it firing at the end?

I hope so! :slight_smile:

I have added the AA guns. I made them with a good bit of detail to help with the sense of scale, hopefully that works out ok. (I’ve switched to AAO and turned off raytracing to speed up these renders.)

Now I need to work on getting the legs done.

Can the ack-ack guns raise high enough to cover a threat from directly above?

Looking cool, though.

what first came to mind from the 1st image was A city in a ball…Like said before

Then i saw that it had little bubbles witch i thought would be for storing water grain and cattle…or somthng

But i like what your doing

The AA guns can’t fire directly above the walker, but I think that is quite a small vulnerability for all the area that they DO cover. Most aircraft have a hard time attacking from directly above unless it’s a bomber, and the space inside the walls on the upper half of top dome would most likely be needed for electronics/instrumentation in the bridge.

Who knows? If I get crazy enough, I might even do an interior to this thing! :stuck_out_tongue:

For some reason I just had a vision of 2 or 3 of these things walking across the ground of Hoth instead of AT-ATs… Wow, I’m such a nerd. :smiley: