Door model: sub div or not?!

Hi guys
I have modelled a door and my general impression is that you should not have “sharp” edges otherwise it will look fake in a render. Trouble is I cannot get a sub div applied to it to look right- there are shader problems all over it. When I try to bevel specific edges that does seem to work. Applying a bevel to the whole thing also did not work well - some edges were bevelled whereas others seemed untouched. I tried messing with weighting edges etc to no avail. I’ve downloaded other people’s models to see how it’s done and they don’t seem to bother with softening edges-maybe that’s why they are free.

So: two questions -1) what is the general approach to get rid of these sharp edges and 2) is it worth the effort?

(Maybe my initial approach is wrong? The way I started was to use a cube for the door, added a control loop in the middle then inset the top and bottom faces a couple of times. To create the hole at the top I used a boolean - which seemed to add random edges and vertices but that is a whole different topic. Then with the sub div version I just kept adding control loops to sharpen the edges.)
door help.blend (699.7 KB)

Bevel dont work cause you layed the front face (hole) on the back face and do a boolean on it. This messed up geometry so bevel dont work as expected. Also you have to apply scale to the door.
I recommend not use boolean for this just cut and bridge the faces to make a hole for the glass in the door.
Normaly you wont use sub div on a door like this, just bevel.
At ~5min. in the video where he make a hole in the cube.

1 Like

I’d forget the boolean or apply it. Then Apply Scale with Ctrl+A on the door. Bevels don’t like operating on meshes with inconsistent scale. The bevel modifier by default has a setting enabled under Geometry to prevent bevels from misbehaving. It’s called Clamp Overlap. Turning this off can make a mess but it can also be useful in troubleshooting where the problem areas are.

I applied the boolean. Cleaned up a few stray vertices. Added the bevel. Turned off Clamp Overlap. Turned on Harden Normals under Shading (in bevel modifier), set the mesh to Shade Smooth and turned on Autosmooth for the door.

door help2.blend (686.1 KB)

1 Like

For proper beveling your scales should always have same value for XYZ coordinates in object mode. To solve that: in Object Mode go to Object > Apply > All Transforms

1 Like

THANK YOU!!! I’m gutted I am still making silly oversights like scaling - I’d convinced myself I’d done the cmd-A shortcut on everything. In fact the bevel mod looks fine on the main bit of the cupboard :slight_smile:

I’ve learned a lot and really appreciate the help. Thanks again

erm - I thought I had learned the lessons mentioned in this post and I had a go at a picture frame. I am convinced I have done it properly with decent and simple geometry. However, the bevel does nothing. If I unclamp it the thing goes mad so I presume that means I’ve got bad geometry but I can’t figure it out. I redid my doors as per your advice and they are now perfect (for my level). But this frame is confusing!
picture_frame.blend (1.1 MB)

hmmm - i imported it into another file and now the bevel works correctly. I have since found an edge in the wrong place and fixed it; it had no effect on the correctly beveled frame or the one I uploaded. I guess I am doing something wrong but I’m lost as to what.

Take a look at the measurements, you have a frame with 13x19cm, so your bevel cant be greater than a small amount like .001m, then you get the desired bevel.

1 Like

it’s fun but frustrating I’m still making beginner mistakes. At least I hope my ineptitude is also helping other beginners :face_with_monocle:

Yeah… you are asking it to use a bevel width of 1 metre on a picture frame. Can I suggest switching your units to millimetres? It’s a lot easier to work with than trying to constantly think in metres when dealing with very small objects.

In your attached blend file if you change to mm and then give the bevel modifier something sensible to work with like 1mm it will work absolutely fine. Easier to deal with mentally than 0.001m. I know Blender can convert things for you, but I always work in millimetres. A habit from the architectural type drawings I used to have to do at college many moons ago.