Doris sketchbook

that is good news tonatiuh. yes physiotherapy works wonders, i know from experience.
for the sss i have two, in different depth, and the color those sss nodes need comes from the diffuse color that i overlay via a node with two different colors, one for each depth. these get mixed in a 70/30 ratio. it gave right away good results, so i did not bother to paint a new texture for that.

I can’t say much about cycles shaders,I make little use of it, but I have a totally different approach to skin (not photorealistic skin, rather an idealization of skin, but the concept is the same).
I make a pale yellow-green texture for the diffusion, and I give to sss a strong red color, this for reproducing the real.
And I always use white for specular color, since they told me that only metals have tinted reflections.

Your results though are excellent, so I should think again on the matter.

paolo

I want to add that he looks like something out of Norman Rockwell. Very, very beautifully done.

haha, fred, so nice… so i am kind of old fashioned :slight_smile:

and my latest portrait of elsa. more info here.

1 Like

WOW! Seriously… Wow! Fantastic skin detail and sculpt. As to Norman Rockwell, I always loved the character he could impart into his subjects. Very life-like feel to his works.

thank you fred…it feels good to evoke such emotion :slight_smile:

I post my critics in this post, I think is a better place hehe.
Just 3 things:

1. In the skin paint I think you overdo with the blur, If you look at the reference the dark spots, are more define. In the A circle I paint a bit so you can see my point, it is not really well done, but for explanatory purposes it is OK, you get the idea.
  2. the fold of the skin seems that it is doing something odd. you can see in the drawings what I mean. You can also see it in the references of the eye.
  3. the Iris and the pupil, are doing something strange. I think it is something like I draw, but I don’t know. Maybe you like this tutorial

I know someone point out about the hear, but it is sooo difficult that… I think you did a wonderful job!

Anyhow, I love the expression on here face, the wisdom, and the peaceful happiness, she is really a beautiful woman!

ah, my friend tonatiuh. how is your hand doing? i hope the physio already helps against the pains.

thank you again for your critique. you know when working so closely on a portrait, at some point you don’t “see it anymore”. so your pointing are helpful to learn for me.
yes, 1 you are right. i overlooked that because my focus was on making the spots not so prominent that i forgot that they always have sharp boundaries. lesson learned :slight_smile:
3, yes i modeled the eye like you think i did. i know it should be flat, (and thanks for the link to the tutorial, i have seen it before) but i thought it would give the eye more depth, and thus more life. ok, should not do it, or at least much less of it to hide the fake …
2, yes and no. your reference image has the aging skin fall “in front” over the eye. there are eyes however where the aging skin falls “behind” the eye exposing the roundness of the eyeball. see for example here, here and here … elsa has this rarer sort of eye too. i think i am accurate with her folds in this area…

Glad to be of help! I like critics, they help me a lot, so I try to make them as good as I can.

About 2 Yes you are totally right, but then something else is happening, maybe the color of the skin there?.. I don’t know. maybe it has to go deeper… It is odd looking. Really minor, but something is of to me.
About 3 In my opinion the form of the eye in real people make the iris looks like it pops out, not in, that is why you can see clearly the pupil from almost a side angle, is like the iris projects to the spherical form to the other side, but not entirely of course. It is a nice effect have you see the eye of a horse? it is amassing, the effect. I use to spend hours looking to the eye of the horses. Sometimes something pops out of the pupil like a cloud. link

The hand is progressing! I’m the physiotherapist… so maybe I going to fast hehe. next week I have to start working… so I have to be in good shape.

oh that is a nice observation about the eye. i have not noticed that effect on horses, but then we do not have many here around. or rather, those we have i come not that close to… thanks again for your help. yes, i see you help alot on forum, very good thing.
so, i hope your work allows for your using the hand with care for a while. good luck.

i add at least one image of this fun project here too, to keep the scetchbook complete.

may i introduce you to frigga :slight_smile:

a few other views from this sculpt are here.

1 Like

Simply amazing.

This would look great 3D printed.

thank you olg.
thank you cristina. yes, i suppose it would. but it would be a lot of work to make the meshes watertight, so that the whole would print properly…

Fantastic!!

I agree this would look amazing as a 3D print! :slight_smile:

Maybe some use of meshmixer, along with some extra sculpting to smooth out the mesh connections could be a quick method of getting the mesh print ready? Still, i can see that taking a while due to the dense meshes, i’m assuming your at about 2 - 5 million vertices?

I remember seeing this on the feature row, and i was frankly amazed at the level of detail! it looks like a 3D scan of a real sculpture :slight_smile:

great stuff there Doris… haven’t come over here to see what you were doing in awhile… good to see all the ‘neat’ stuff…

That woudl mean a lot of booleans applied to get that, adn even then you have a lot of tiny detail parts - but if it could, it would be epic!

This would look great 3D printed.

yes, i suppose it would. but it would be a lot of work to make the meshes watertight, so that the whole would print properly…

No… no… no… rare oooooh so rare… is the sculpture that has not been molded in parts and then bound together with wire, bolt or glue…

I know… Because I have put some of these kinds of things together before myself… I have a couple of friends here that work in bronze you see… and and my wife and I (well X-wife now) use to own a pottery studio and many were the Ceramic Art pieces that were made and fired in parts… (simply because as a whole they would not fit in the average kiln) then bound together later to form the whole piece…

Thus… think not that that it is an impossibility…

Print that sucker … bind it together… and collect the cash… !!!

sculpture like that… table top size… in bronze… will easily bring $2000.00 (American$)

of coarse the process to have one of these done is not cheap either…
but for what you would make of of a few of these it is well worth the looking into …

your print in plastic or wax would build the mold… and from there the bronze would be poured to make a hand full of copies… eventually the mold will wear out… so the copies automatically are limited edition… which makes them even more valuable…