doubts about character animation

hello, since i’m a little short on time i thought’s i’d start by asking…
let’s say i’ve got a human figure, with a separate mesh for the body, hair (polygon), clothes (without cloth simulation), shoes, and an oblect in its hand. i’ve already rigged the character. now, to move onto animating, do i need to join all the meshes, or will it work with separated meshes as well? also, if i join all of the meshes, will my texture images (which i painted myself) still work? sorry it’s sort of a double question, but since my main problem is animating i thought i should ask here. i’m sorry for being so abstract with description but my model isn’t ready yet…
oh and sorry for my beginner-ness and my approximate english as well. :spin:

Relax about your english, I didn’t look at your location until I read ‘approximate english’, so write good english.

Let’s start with the hair, if the part of the head that the hair attaches to doesn’t deform (doesn’t change shape, like a normal human) then you can just parent the hair mesh object to the main head control bone. If the hair is long and will interact with the body, you’ll need to control that with an armature or physics, which I think you are against.

Clothes without cloth simulation (hence why I think you are not for physics) could be handled a few ways. T-shits and close fitting pants, I’d just make that part of the character mesh object and weight paint it. At some point, the character mesh will show thru the clothing mesh. You can delete those parts of the mesh if you won’t be needing them, they’ll never be seen or rendered, then just remove them. If you don’t want to delete them, then use the mask modifier to hide them. For something like a long trench coat that would interact with the body, same thing as the hair, you’d need control bones. If the character will always be wearing the long coat, then it could be joined with the character mesh and verts that would never be seen could be removed. If the character removes the coat, then it needs to be a separate mesh object and more work.

Shoes, same thing, if you don’t need the toes and the heel, delete that part of the mesh and join the shoes to the character mesh. If they will be removed, then separate mesh object and more work.

The object in the hand I would leave as a separate mesh object, ad an armature modifier to it using the current armature, then add a new bone for it that is a child of the main hand control bone.

And yes, if you join mesh objects, the textures will be mapped to their own image. If you join the shoe to the character mesh, don’t connect the verts between them, leave some sort of gap between the 2 meshes. This way, you can select one vert from the shoe and select all connected verts, and blender will select all the shoe verts. In the uv editor, the verts will be mapped to their image. If the verts for the shoes and the character are joined, then there is no way to just select the shoe verts…

Hope this helps,
Randy

physics, which I think you are against

i’m doing this for a game, so i need to work with low poly meshes c: also, it’s not like i’m that expert either, so i thought i’d better model polygon hair than learn to use a brand new tool

For something like a long trench coat

my character actually wears a trench coat! ahah, so if i’d join the coat with the charsacter’s body, and delete all its parts which don’t show (they always keep the coat on), i can make my armature move the part of the coat covering it, right? (i mean, for example, if i deleted the thigh because it’s doesn’t show under the coat and joined the meshes i could make the bone of the thigh move the coat covering it)

leave some sort of gap between the 2 meshes

yes, i did that.
thank you very much for your answer, you explained me a lot! :slight_smile: