Downloads - Circumnavigation - Past Ages and Bygone Times - 2020

Removed Falmouth as problem. B

Use strictly for your own use
Not for commercial use.
Refer to readme

Solway Firth Scotland to Lands End Cornwall.
About quarter of the coastal area around Britain.
Most of the routes 1 to 12 have the most work done.
Most of the routes 13 to 36 made more than a year or more ago.
Most of these are more basic with one drivable vessel, etc.
Although made a while ago I have updated many with minor alterations
I may convert all routes to animated vessels and static ‘floating’ only, to see what can be done within the parameters of each route.

Unlikely to post further as regard new routes, after route 35 or 36 under 5 meg size. Pehaps I might change some of routes 1 to 36. B

Remade Falmouth Basic36a01falmouth02022020.zip (2.8 MB)
Use strictly at your own risk.
Any further uploads of these simulations will be preset ship routes and animations.No further drivable or scenarios, B

For my own interest I may try 20km sections around uk and Ireland, using displace function and grey scale height map. 20km size I think seems to be the limit for height maps. Trying Shetlands Isles for a start in Scotland which has numerous islands. If this method works I may make the basic versions available all below 5 meg zip.Couple of thousand miles (smile). Regarding interest from others if only one person becomes interested that is fine by me. If none that is also fine as I am interested, (smile B).

100 km (60 miles) would be a better size. might be a possibilty. if so would would make several of the same identical route as I try and add features. Actually have made the basic terrain as the displace function seemed to work with the height map.
Ist terrain would be the Shetland Isles off the northern tip of Scotland, then perhaps working south the begnning of Scotland.
Further on are the Faroes Islands followed by Island. B

Regarding the 100km route missed off the lower portion of the Shetland Isles, so remade at 117km height map, which included the full Shetland Isles.

Multi divided flat sheet 8 times I think which created about 66 thousand vertices. Next selected seabed and lowered to minus 12 meters. Remove part of seabed and replace with flat sheet at 4 vertices at minus 12, which should reduce the total vertices substantially.
Then copy and paste sea with swell movement from my other routes, etc. Roaming camera, lamp, etc, maybe single steamer on preset route. IF, it works out and under 5 meg I will perhaps upload it. B

Shetland Isles.Basic vesion terrain only. Roaming camera. As a basic version no ships or buildings.
As this is terrain only. 1 megabyte.
Grey scale height map also enclosed.
Use strictly at your own risk.

Trying again hopefully with sea texture

01shetland Basic.zip (1016.3 KB)
B

Shetland Islands, and to explain why makiing these types of maritime routes are interesting to me. Just been having a look at the web cam in Lerwick Harbour. (real life). Lovely scene with the ships, also lighting playing on the water. I used Google map for a drive yesterday along part of the Islands. I try again later but time of day depends when the update to the islands was made possibly years ago.

So that explains my interest in the harbours of the UK past and present times.
Also must wish all fellow maritime interested people Best Wishes for the coming year. (smile) and the management of Blender Artists, not forgetting members of Blender Artists who have helped over the years .B

So we start at the beginning and the Shetland Isles was an interesting experiment. 01 Solway Firth will start the 100 km. approx. sections, following the coastline south. How far I get also depends on hgt height map sections and 3DEM. I will use Blender greyscale function for the height maps. Create the lines of the rivers as I go along with an aim to try and circumnavigate the UK coast.line and rivers, which was my original aim but scuppered a few times by various ‘happenings’.
B

1 Like

Tried 2 routes at 100 approx.km. such as the Shetland Isles, but I think the better option would be 50 km approx., as have made that type previously such as Anglesey and Isle of Man Etc. Blender displace function and grey scale height map seem to work well. B

I think for me to include drivable vessels, as before, (only works with sail), you would need to post a request to me, as the next routes (if any) will have sailing vessels or basic steamers on preset tracks. Same for scenarios such as collecting barrels etc.

Regarding further routes I might make a store of grey height maps first, before starting to work on the routes which will be similar to what I have previoudly. These routes 40 km approx.of coastal UK. No further islands as these have been made previously, such at Isle of Man and Anglesey. All routes 5 meg of below so easily downloadable from my series of pages.You will need 2.79b Blender from the Blender archives to use the routes and download the zip file. Routes would start from Solway Firth again. B

Additional Details - Terrain will be merged colours made with 3DEM and, no further textures for terrain. Greyscale map made from 3dem colour map for the height map and blender displace function. 15 greyscale maps made so far, Solway to Fishguard and continue around coast.Size approx. 40 to 50 km square. The routes wil be in the distant future. No further drivable vessels or scenarios. Any movement will be preset paths etc as that is what will interest me. B

Solway Firth around to Plymouth on South coast of GB. 31 greyscale maps made so far. B

Greyscale height map no 42 past Dover and heading towards the Thames Estuary.B
Then up the East coast into Scotland, turning at the top back down to the starting point of the Solway Firth. This even before starting the routes turning the grey scale height maps into terrain maps. (smile).

If I eventually release more routes for download they will all be under 5 meg. Use strictly at your own risk. All details including names and dates, etc, might be approximate or and/or guesswork.
These details apply to all the previous routes that I have made availalble for download from these pages and any future routes.

Thanks B.

Greyscale height maps 43, start Solway, follow along West coast and South Coast to river Thames. adjusted 11 Feb 02. B

Returning to the original routes that I have already made I will possibly replace with 40 km routes.
These I will possibly convert to all sail and on preset routes etc, no drivable. Solway Firth down to Lands End Cornwall, etc. Up to approx. 5 meg in size and approx 40 km each. B

Any further routes I make available for download will be mainly docks ports and harbours of yesteryear and some moving ships. Open Street map is useful for much information.
Maye 5 kilometer square or so or less if they fit onto a square. Obviously I can’t just continue making true-to-life ship route simulations for download. I have the hgt files for making the height maps and 3 DEM so could change to making very small areas.

The commercial ‘Nautis Home’ should be ready this year. probably be of more interest to me and their forum.
Happy Sailing. B

Further details received today about the new simulator. but I don’t think suitable for me. So will probably plod on. with what I have already made or similar.

My best option, keeping within the 5 meg limit is using the basic coastal cago steamers I have made and are in some of the
downloadable routes.

So the future routes will have the emphasis on the older docks and quays if suitable for steamships. There are already enough of my routes available for download that have sailing ships with some ‘drivable’. I am unable to make the cargo ships ‘floating and drivable’ and only seems to work with the sailing ships which I set to float at the waterline approx.

About 40 or so downloadable routes on the pages, some including scenarios (or call them ‘games’. If you wish you can always make your own scenarios with them, although I am not making scenarios for steamships which will be manoeuving on preset paths.

Hopefully the new new ship simulator will be out as version 1 this year depending on pricing. It is a pity that there is no interest in maritime simulations on Blender as simulations can be made by others. Relevant help and advice shared by interested people.
MY routes ae still there so you never know I might amend them to suit me without drivable but wwith preset routes controlled from keybord. B