dragon evo

About the being-knocked over - what bounds are you using on the dragon? Complicated bounds may make that happen, so it may be best to stick with a cube. (Oh, presumably you’re using Bullet rather than Sumo? MANY strange things happen with Sumo!).

As for the dragon evolving, it shouldn’t be too hard to do a mesh replacement, perhaps with a few magic/concealing/dramatic animated planes etc to disguise the changeover.

well… i´ve downloaded the blender game kit, so hopefully that will help me a lot… hopefully. But yes, i´m hoping to be able to do some xp and evolving ingame/realtime… but oh well… we´ll see… i could make a cutscene when it evolves and then load in another model…

but just a quick question. If i where to say make this game possible to play on machines, how would i go about making an updater for the game… would that be hard? so hard that i should rather just finish the game completely before releasing it?

-thondal-

to make prerendered cutscenes you need the FMV thing at blendenzo.com
so do you have any level ideas? or any other ideas??? Planning, planning, planning! Before you even think about hitting the power button on that PC you need to know what your doing. Oh sorry kinda rambled there…honestly i dont know what youve come up with so thats what im asking.

Sure… Ok, heres what i’ve got so far. I’ve made some sketches and some conecpt “art”… not too much to brag about, but I will post it next week some time. As for what I’m planning on is to try to make it as simple as possible. Just a short cutscene in the beginning, a short storyline perhaps(working on that) and then a end scene. And for the evolving part. I will be going for the changing the model that is playable by each level. And I will be making no more then 10 levels i think. After all this is my first game, and i will be learning a lot of stuff by just making it work a little bit. But anyhow. I\ve come up with a few ideas, and i’m working on fixing a few bugs right now. BUt please bear with me.

-thondal-

Ok, so doing well with the blender game kit. closing in on beeing halfway trough it now.
I´m hoping to be of help in bigger projects when I get my dragon game done, or maybe do a big project myself. But for now I will keep it simple and then add more complexity to it as i progress and I learn more.

BTW, any good ideas on what to put in the game?

-thondal-

Food for points. More than one dragon. Fire-breathing dragons. Little animals you can toast and eat. Although you wouldnt want to copy Spyro.

lol… well, many good ideas there shmunkyman33 :wink: will be thinking abou them. Currently still working on the gamekit tutorials. But “released” 0.01 on my website and 0.02 will be coming next saturday.

-thondal-

Ok, so this is the first ingame pictures, and some “inmodeling/objectmode/wireframe” pictures.

After i have written some stuff then there will be some pictures.

Ok, so here is my plan on how to keep it simple. I´m doing stuff as i release/make a new version. And under is roughly the plan for the next few versions.

0.01 - making a dragon testmodel that is able to move/float about by the command of arrow keys. (done and working perfect)

0.02 - Making a level with water,trees and cave. Rkey for reset Dragon still being able to move, but now by the use of the “wasd”-keys. Jump(a few problems still). physics, hitting objects, resolving bugs. (still under development)

0.03 - Armetures in the dragon, simple enemies that dissapear when hit. (still not started on)

0.04 - Resolving eventual bugs from 0.03 and making a goal that will finish the game when reached.

0.05 - Resolving eventual bugs from 0.04 and adding more complex enemies.

Within 0.1 - Adding firebreath perhaps, or some new way of attacking, and the enemies have the possiblity to attack back and kill the dragon.

Within 0.5 - Adding some kind of experience system with the help of python and some kind of database system(most likely gonna need help by then) and health on the dragon.

PICTURES!!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/thondal/Bilde5-1.png

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/thondal/Bilde10.png

COMMENTS??? :smiley:

-thondal-

Ok, fixed the camera a bit, and it is looking better and now following the dragon somewhat right. I tested the dragon by moving it around. Added a bit more to the jump/fly so that it can now do a “hover” or float. I think that will be all for 0.02 and then make it a executable.

btw, anyone knows if it is possible to make it to an app in mac somehow? It seems that the current release is not able to make it a exe for mac (which would be .app)

-thondal-

Go here.
I haven’t tried it before,so i don’t know if or how it works.
And btw, I like your idea. Good luck on this project.

You have your hands full with this game. I have a few comments for ya if it means anything. I like the rock textures. but the tress just dont match the other textures. Dragon looks cartoony so make all your textures cartoony. Mixing photo realistic textures and cartoon textures are simply a no-no . i learned this the hard way… But good luck with your game and keep up the hard work…

1 Like

thanks, I will be going for something like semicartoon. at least very cartoonish, but all textures are just temporary.
Would just like to say that I now have a website (as soon as they register me bying it) at www.magicalpictures.net It´s supposed to be up and running within 24 hours.

At my website you can download the current version of DE

oh, and i have a little problem. When running it inside blender the camera angle is good. But when i save it as a runtime and start the exe file, the camera is not as it is in when i play it in blender? is this a known problem/solution?

-thondal-

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/Starven/camera.jpg

Inside the red square is what your camera will see in the runtime (Your zoomed off the camera in the .blend file) so make sure the view you want is within that red square.

Or so i’ve found…

thanks… was checking out my camera setting when i found out that the lens was at 62, changed it too 10, and now it looks better. But havent made it a runtime yet, so time will show. Working on the next update now (0.03 :D)

-thondal-

ok, so i´m kinda learning this fast (for me, probably extremely slow for others)
But i was making a health bar and was wondering how i can get it to stay in the upperleft corner of the camera all the time when the camera is following the dragon all the time? or any other place on the screen for that sake.

help?

oh, is there a good tutorial on how to make fire appear? :stuck_out_tongue: just asking to get this done quicker and to learn more.

-thondal-

Good luck with this project IDEA THEIF. Haha, it’s just that one of my earlier blender projects was a game like this. I actually made it for school. It was going to be sort of GTA as a dragon, where you fly around a small world and steal peoples gold, and they send bigger and tougher enemies to slay you. You would start as a baby dragon that can’t even fly, and slowly pick up abilities as you level up.

I had a pretty nice low-poly dragon model that was rigged up with cool animation, you could fly around and shoot flame at people who had a really funny running around on fire animation :slight_smile: Didn’t get much farther than that though.

I hope you are able to do more with the idea than I did, I would love a game like this.

My old files are lost so I can’t be of much help.

oh, well you could. How did you do the fire??? :smiley: :P, this is my first time in BGE… oh and btw, my website is now up and running and you can now downlad 0.02 from it. And please read the manual for key reference, and please give feedback either here or at my mail [email protected], kinda inspires me.

Ok… so i finaly after tweaking and tweaking for about 1 hour. I, all by myself, for the first time, managed to make a somewhat working armeature system. Then i tweaked for about 15-20 minutes and made a nice little animation. Checked that it worked. working in fram 101-120 (because i want it to be there ) but when i do the Keyboard-and-action on the armeature, it wont play in the game enginge when my selected button is pressed. Can anyone help me with this? i need the animation to play when i press space.

Here is a picture of my setup:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/thondal/Bilde4-1.png

-thondal-

Ok when you made it a parent did you make it a parent to an armature? That was my mistake at first.

count me in. be a fun project to have a go at, im not to good at the texturing or the game engine but I can model the lvls and dragon for you. Ive sent u a PM